Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Copying Program from one computer to another

I have a program installed on my very old desktop computer which runs on Windows XP (I think!); and also on a Windows 8.1 laptop

How do I copy this onto a USB stick
Also, how do I copy it from the USB onto another laptop - Windows 10.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS - I did the usual right click and copy, and have managed to copy the program folder shortcut.........not the program itself!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Re: Copying Program from one computer to another

Some programs won't work on windows 10 when they worked on XP ok. They might if using compatibility mode but not usually.

All you need to do is make sure your your "stick" is connected, grab your program and copy/paste it across. No need to open it just find it on your "c" drive then program files and copy/paste onto stick. then run it from the stick to see if it works. (may have to open on stick to find where on the drop down list is were to start it from , not seen the drop down list so can't help with that)

as i said a lot of programs don't transfer from XP toW10 you might have to find an upgraded version.

When I went onto W10 I found a load of third party programs wern't designed for the windows update because W10 wasn't even thought of. This is the same with W8.1

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I have a program installed on my very old desktop computer which runs on Windows XP (I think!); and also on a Windows 8.1 laptop

How do I copy this onto a USB stick
Also, how do I copy it from the USB onto another laptop - Windows 10.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS - I did the usual right click and copy, and have managed to copy the program folder shortcut.........not the program itself!
It depends on the program if it is a rare stand alone program then you can just copy it but generally speaking any windows program needs to be installed properly via an installation program.

Don't you have the original installation disk?

Perhaps if you give more details about the program.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:43 AM

would be nice to know the program, it may be free, and there may be a newer version of it.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 10:44 AM

It's rarely that simple I'm afraid unless the program is a stand alone executable. Most programs need to be installed using, for example, an installation CD and during the installation will make changes to the registry which won't happen iff you just copy the program files across. What is the program?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I also sent a message to the user group for that programme and it seems their server is down..........on the very day I wanted it!!!! I've now got a new link and have downloaded it.

Thanks again - problem solved.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top