Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Re: When is the last time you went into Dorothy Perkins?

Must be around 30 years ago now. I never bought a single thing for myself but my daughter liked their stuff when she was a teen. Now she won't give their stuff a second glance..
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Into the shop ?
I don't think there is/was a real Dorothy Perkins to get into.............
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Into the shop ?
Yes clutching your man bag in a protective manner.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have a problem with Edinburgh Woolen Mill blouses/tops. If I buy my proper size (14) the sleeves are too skinny. If I buy something on which the sleeves fit - the rest hangs like rent a tent. Shames - because I quite like their clothes.
I like the Country Rose clothes Tabs. They are very pretty. Although I have had to take a blouse back because of tight sleeves.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:23 PM

Our High Street

Gone

Tesco
Next (moved to retail park)
BHS
Woolworths
HMV
M&S (Simply Food left in retail park)

Iceland
McDonalds (yes really)
Numerous small traders

Going

Debenhams (officially confirmed)
Old fashioned tea room
2 Big 6 banks

What's left

A few charity shops
Some unsustainable coffee shops, why would you go there if there's nothing else?

It's not all down to Amazon though, the stupidity of the local council has been a major contributor. They built a leisure centre on the most convenient car park, against the wishes of the people then increased the parking charges. Now apparently it's our fault for not supporting the high street they have helped destroy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:37 PM

I don't think any of this is down to internet shopping. It's all down to high business rates and a lack of parking. You make it impossible for people to drive to the shops with some mad speed bumps and 20mph zones and then you shove some ridiculous charges at the businesses. Not just rates but red tape and VAT changes and tax nightmares. Plus creating an environment where high rents are necessary to make it worthwhile to rent out premises or maybe just make it harder to do that too.....

That's the perfect recipe for the end of the high street.

So say bye bye!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:37 PM

British Fashion Shops used to sell beautifully made garments for women, all manufactured in the UK that lasted for years too. Even women with little money would save up for a year to buy a decent Coat.

I still have British Made dresses which are indestructible even after many washes

Now even Designer Garments are poorly made in the Far East
where stitching comes undone, and buttons soon fall off and knicker elastic breaks, as well.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-06-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
British Fashion Shops used to sell beautifully made garments for women, all manufactured in the UK that lasted for years too. Even women with little money would save up for a year to buy a decent Coat.

I still have British Made dresses which are indestructible even after many washes

Now even Designer Garments are poorly made in the Far East
where stitching comes undone, and buttons soon fall off and knicker elastic breaks, as well.
i still have some Laura Ashley and Next from the 80s but the jeans I bought ten years ago are falling apart. Don't you just hate it when your favourite clothes fall apart from too much love!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:41 PM

What about the Army and Navy Shop, with all those itchy clothes.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:43 PM

I used to get my jeans from Evans, they lasted a long time too, but the last two pairs I bought were not made as well & I think Evans is now closed.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top