Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 04:26 PM

South Wales Police officer in juror link on misconduct charge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48662903
A police officer lied about her link with a juror in a murder trial, leading to three convictions being quashed and a retrial, a disciplinary panel has heard.

Det Con Rebecca Bryant was a liaison officer to the family of Lynford Brewster, who was murdered in Cardiff in 2016.

Three men were found guilty of killing him at a re-trial in March.

Ms Bryant's son's girlfriend was a juror in the original trial in 2016.

The South Wales Police misconduct hearing was told Ms Bryant committed gross misconduct by lying about the fact she knew Lauren Jones, who was called for jury service for the trial.

She also sent her texts telling her not to reveal their relationship just before the trial started.

The evening before the trial, Ms Bryant sent a message to Ms Jones saying: "Are you looking forward to tomorrow?"

Ms Jones replied: "Yeah, I'm quite excited, a bit nervous because I don't know what I'm getting into xx."

Ms Bryant responded: "The murder trial is put back to the 1st not that that matters cos they'll hold you til then if they need to. Remember what I said though, as long as you don't know any of the witnesses that's fine.

"I won't be there hardly and I'm not a witness. Don't tell any of them what you are to me in case they think I've told you about it (the case), even though I haven't."

Ms Jones replied: "Oh, is it? I don't know them personally but I do see one family member, so not sure what will happen.

"It will be a good experience. I'll just be honest."

On another message, Ms Bryant offered to give Ms Jones a lift home from court.

"If you're on the murder you'll be finished the same time as me most days. You can have a lift to mine afterwards if you wanted x."

Ms Jones replied: "Fab thanks! The bus is a nightmare x."

Ms Bryant also told the juror she could miss a day of jury service to attend the hairdressers by saying she had an unspecified appointment which could not be changed.

The hearing continues.
There's a copper that should be sacked but probably won't be - she's done 30 years so will probably be "retired" on a full pension .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Re: South Wales Police officer in juror link on misconduct charge

Don’t they say, there is sometimes a fine line between criminals and the police?

In her position, with 30 years service, she should have known better.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 06:00 PM

Re: South Wales Police officer in juror link on misconduct charge

what other kind of service was she offering one wonders?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top