Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 04:14 AM

Re: Lets see how upto date you lot are

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Thanks Floydy.
So it's a new name for just lumping all different sorts of stuff together.
If Steely Dan are in,so am I.
Depends what sort of parties you have on your yacht I guess mate. Motorhead's greatest headbangers would provide a good old party wouldn't it?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 04:45 AM

That's a thought.You could be as loud as you like,no one's going to knock on the door to complain.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 04:57 AM

That's a thought.You could be as loud as you like,no one's going to knock on the door to complain.
All that noise might attract a resident rogue great white instead though
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Yacht Rock is what we have all been listening to since the 70's and 80's it is what America called ARO but in 2010 somebody obviously a marketing man came up with this title

Total Bo***cks of course its just soft Rock but i suspect music most people our age quite like not offensive

There was a program of BBC 4 last Friday on again this week tells you all about it

Bearing in mind that Bands such as ToTo Steeley Dann and the Doobie Brothers all started out as session Musicians they should be good

Steeley Dan very rarely performed live but dragged in people from the Doobies and ToTo to play on their tracks
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 09:35 AM

I’m another who did not know what yacht rock was but I do like To To, Steely Dan and especially the Doobie Brothers. Now that guy can sing.

What a fool believes! Now I’m going to be singing that all day long
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:10 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock

The term "yacht rock" did not exist while the genre was active, from about 1975 to 1982 (1976–84 is also accepted). Originally regarded as "adult-oriented rock" (or "West Coast Sound") it became known as yacht rock in 2005, when the term was coined in J. D. Ryznar et al's online video series, "Yacht Rock" following the fictionalized lives and careers of American soft rock stars of the late 1970s and early 1980s.
In 2014 AllMusic's Matt Colier identified the "key defining rules of the genre" as follows:
  • "keep it smooth, even when it grooves, with more emphasis on the melody than on the beat"
  • "keep the emotions light, even when the sentiment turns sad (as is so often the case in the world of the sensitive yacht-rocksman)"
  • "always keep it catchy, no matter how modest or deeply buried in the tracklist the tune happens to be."

The "exhilaration of escape" is "essential to yacht", according to journalist and documentary-film maker Katie Puckrik. She quoted the lyrics of Cross' "Ride Like the Wind" (1979 ), "to make it to the border of Mexico", as an example of the aspirational longing that demonstrates "the power of the genre". Thwarted desire is another key element that counters the "feelgood bounce" of yacht in the same song. Puckrik identified a sub-genre, "dark yacht", exemplified in Joni Mitchell's "accidental yacht rock" song "The Hissing of the Summer Lawns" (1975), which described the "tarnished love" of "a woman trapped in a big house and a loveless marriage".

Comprehensively defining yacht rock remains difficult, despite agreement that its central elements are "aspirational but not luxurious, jaunty but lonely, pained but polished". Journalist Jack Seale pointed out that as in other "micro-genres", certain albums of artists who are accepted as proponents are "arbitrarily ruled in or out". For example, Michael Jackson’s "Thriller" (1982) is acccepted as yacht rock, but Fleetwood Mac’s "Rumours" (1977) is not.
I Can Go For That: The Smooth World of Yacht Rock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000627v

Katie Puckrik explores the 1970s American music phenomenon of Yacht Rock, a halcyon period of Los Angeles studio craft that married R&B with themes of longing, aspiration and melancholy.
Too much American intellectualizing for me .....

AFAIK, the American video series is very like Peter Richardson's 1997 "Stella Street" BBC series, where "stars", were satirized ..... Stella Street in London was a quiet corner of the city that offered sanctuary to the likes of Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson and other stars from Britain, the US and beyond. They could have peace, and nip out to do their shopping paparazzi-free at the local newsagent, which was run by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards .....

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...aine-nicholson
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Yacht rock ???
Never heard of it.
Me neither (had to Google it) but I'm guessing it's a new term for old music.... when music was good in the good old days and no rap in sight.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Ah! I didn't realise this thread was about a certain music genre .... and there was I talking brit pop, something altogether more punchy.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

18-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Me neither (had to Google it) but I'm guessing it's a new term for old music.... when music was good in the good old days and no rap in sight.
And the irony is mate that rappers can afford more expensive yachts than soft rockers these days
The teens of today have little taste in music sadly.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 11:13 PM

The teens of today have little taste in music sadly.

That's what my parents used to say about us.

I suppose Hall and Oates could be classified as yacht.
I've seen them,couldn't believe how small John Oates is.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top