Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Re: Well, l Didn’t Know That!

I only discovered yesterday that Waitrose was originally started by Wallace Waite, Arthur Rose and David Taylor.Well, I didn't know that.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 01:08 PM

We all know that water electricity don't mix. That's why you have a cord pull light switch in the bathroom.

So, I was more than a little surprised to see electric motors being washed with water. This was in the Far East. The motors were dis-assembled, the parts washed, then left to dry in the hot sun, put back together again and insulation tested before being put back into service.

These were not small motors. Most were 30kW or more. To put that in context, most domestic motors are a fraction of a kW.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I only discovered yesterday that Waitrose was originally started by Wallace Waite, Arthur Rose and David Taylor.Well, I didn't know that.
What happened to Taylor .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I don't know. Perhaps he started Taylor's tea of Harrogate.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Apparently, he left and got a job.

http://ealingnewsextra.co.uk/history...acton-origins/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 01:30 PM

I don't know. Perhaps he started Taylor's tea of Harrogate.
I thought perhaps Waite and Rose thought "Waitaylorose" was too much of a mouthful .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Apparently, he left and got a job.

http://ealingnewsextra.co.uk/history...acton-origins/
Ah, he was the boring one .....

The other two are quite interesting:

WAITE
Wallace Wyndham Waite had been born in East Grinstead in 1881, but later imagined he was from Wales and left school aged 10 and became an apprentice.

At the age of 16 with £1 in his pocket he arrived in London. In 1901 he was a grocers’ assistant lodging in Paddington.

In 1908 he married a Kathleen in Somerset and they soon had a daughter, Barbara. Between 1909-1913 they lived at 3a Stuart Road, Acton, with Waite’s mother and an apprentice grocer, aged 17, called James Cozens. He was the shop’s main buyer.

ROSE
Arthur Edward Rose was born in London in 1879 and lived in Ealing Green as a clerk; in 1910 he married his business partner Waite’s sister, Bertha, in Herefordshire and they lived at 46 Drayton Avenue and 106 Mayfield Avenue in West Ealing, where they had three children. He dealt with the finances, having once worked for a solicitor in Edinburgh.
Why go to Somerset and Herefordshire to get married .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
We all know that water electricity don't mix. That's why you have a cord pull light switch in the bathroom.

So, I was more than a little surprised to see electric motors being washed with water. This was in the Far East. The motors were dis-assembled, the parts washed, then left to dry in the hot sun, put back together again and insulation tested before being put back into service.

These were not small motors. Most were 30kW or more. To put that in context, most domestic motors are a fraction of a kW.
Not too much different in principle to washing TV remote controls and even complete TV chassis in soapy water, rinsing and drying them. A treatment for after liquid (drinks mostly) had been accidentally tipped into the works.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 05:13 PM

Ah, he was the boring one .....

The other two are quite interesting:

Why go to Somerset and Herefordshire to get married .....
It used to be customary to marry in the Bride's parish - not sure it is now - probably something else the rampant feminists killed off!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-06-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
It used to be customary to marry in the Bride's parish - not sure it is now - probably something else the rampant feminists killed off!
I didn't know that .....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top