Join for free
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Hope you have a lovely holiday Jem and the weather is kind for you.

Birthday greetings to your BIL for his 70th birthday...
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Trust you both had a good journey and are now enjoying glorious Wexford sunshine before the BIL's Birthday hooley.

Seems that fish are into doing the "why did the chicken cross the road" drama....but they do have a valid reason for risking gills and fins

Near Skokomish River, Shelton, Washington, USA, there is an Unusual road sign warning to “Drive Slowly, Fish Crossing, speed limit 40.

Almost every year if the river floods the salmon take short cuts swimming across the road to go upstream to spawn. As always nature finds it's own way regardless of what barriers man chucks at it..

(amazing how the two dogs in the red pick up stayed put with all those wriggling fish about)

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 12:28 PM

This latest crime wave in London is nothing new as if you go back into London’s murky past, you’ll find all kinds of dark and dirty deeds. The University of Cambridge’s Violence Research Centre have released the Medieval Murder Map charting the grisly killings that happened within the City of London in medieval times, the map is a fascinating, albeit gruesome peek into the capital’s past.

There is a brief descriptions given to each individual death. You’ve got unexpected murderers, as seen in the tag marked ‘Hampshire clergyman murders retired soldier on their way to visit bishop‘. There’s lots of anti between different professions, as with ‘A deadly fight between members of the fishmonger and the skinner guilds‘...and even more chilling are the murders of those who deserved nothing more than a slap on the wrist for their crimes such as ‘Vicious attack for dropping eel skins outside a shop‘.

The murders where the researchers have decided to sharpen their comedic wit with a good pun such as ‘Cripplegate cobbler boots city messenger into eternity‘ is a surprisingly literary description, but it pales in comparison with ‘Welsh tailor kills Irish Will and goes Scot free‘.

I would say "you couln't make that up" ..but someone did .

Interactive Medieval Murder Map link
Hover mouse over map tabs for more info
https://www.vrc.crim.cam.ac.uk/vrcre...val-murder-map
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Trust you both had a good journey and are now enjoying glorious Wexford sunshine before the BIL's Birthday hooley.

Seems that fish are into doing the "why did the chicken cross the road" drama....but they do have a valid reason for risking gills and fins

Near Skokomish River, Shelton, Washington, USA, there is an Unusual road sign warning to “Drive Slowly, Fish Crossing, speed limit 40.

Almost every year if the river floods the salmon take short cuts swimming across the road to go upstream to spawn. As always nature finds it's own way regardless of what barriers man chucks at it..

(amazing how the two dogs in the red pick up stayed put with all those wriggling fish about)

How weird is that! It looked as though a couple of them copped it towards the end but I hope not. You'd think that the authorities would provide something more suitable really.
solo
UK

17-06-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How weird is that! It looked as though a couple of them copped it towards the end but I hope not. You'd think that the authorities would provide something more suitable really.
Catching after spawning is illegal but before spawning they are anybody's game so did you not see them there locals lurking in the bushes and behind trees waiting to scoop up the yearly free salmon catch. Would you build a bridge knowing that was on offer to stock up your freezer!

I think the drivers were being as careful as they could but them fish had other things on their mind than road safety..if you get my drift.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 10:18 PM

Sometimes you drift in, sometimes you drift out, you do the Hokey Cokey, then, get the Sat Nav Out.
solo
UK

18-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sometimes you drift in, sometimes you drift out, you do the Hokey Cokey, then, get the Sat Nav Out.
That sounds like when I try to use a supermarket shopping trolley...you know those contrary basket on wheels with a mind of it's own. I am sure they were micro chipped to annoy humans the minute they touch them. Got yer money now let the fun begin.

Wouldn't mind trying one of these though except I do tend to prefer keeeping my knees together. .

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
That sounds like when I try to use a supermarket shopping trolley...you know those contrary basket on wheels with a mind of it's own. I am sure they were micro chipped to annoy humans the minute they touch them. Got yer money now let the fun begin.

Wouldn't mind trying one of these though except I do tend to prefer keeeping my knees together. .

What fun Solo, I wouldn't mind joining their group!
solo
UK

19-06-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What fun Solo, I wouldn't mind joining their group!
Me too Mags and after attempting to use those self service checkouts you would certainly need a silly streak with your shopping trolley.

That David R Humble who invented that darn checkout till had it demonstrated by an 11 year old to prove how easy it was to use....which is no doubt why it speaks to us oldies like naughty kids when things go wrong ...as they so often do .

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 07:21 AM

I sometimes regret not pursuing the job I had assembling printed circuit boards, by now, I could have been a solderer of fortune.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top