Join for free
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 06:16 AM

Re: I Think I’ve Made A Huge Mistake, Getting Sky Q.

It's a puzzle to me too Art .
We have BT and it seems to go up all the time .
I never find anything good on and then I always fall asleep when I do !
Thought about sky but you know just could be bothered all to complicated for me.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's a puzzle to me too Art .
We have BT and it seems to go up all the time .
I never find anything good on and then I always fall asleep when I do !
Thought about sky but you know just could be bothered all to complicated for me.
Muddy, l am a bit restricted in the choice of a provider because there is no cable in my road.
I didn’t think £10 a month is too bad and l was only paying £7.65 a month before l changed to Sky Q.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/29/sky-q-review/

This might be of interest to you. You need to get the mini set top box to piggy back to the main one, to have the signal sent to other TVs. It says the first one is free, then you pay for others.

I'd be devastated if my Sky + HD box were to break down as I think they are being phased out.
Jazzi, For me to get an extra Q box, l would have to pay an extra £13 a month. I don’t really watch much television in other rooms but it’s nice to have the option.
At the moment, l have five other televisions that can’t be used. Maybe they could, with an Amazon stick or Apple TV but lm not sure you can get ‘live’ tv with them?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Jazzi, For me to get an extra Q box, l would have to pay an extra £13 a month. I don’t really watch much television in other rooms but it’s nice to have the option.
At the moment, l have five other televisions that can’t be used. Maybe they could, with an Amazon stick or Apple TV but lm not sure you can get ‘live’ tv with them?
It's all too confusing isn't it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That's fine until Sky Atlantic and Arts move over to a different Sky Package. Then you're stuck with the choice of quitting Sky, or buying a more expensive package. I've never understood how Murdock can get away with offering a "service" that he can change at will. Imagine going to a Chinese restaurant and paying for Set Meal A having chosen that because of what it contains, and then finding that they bring you a load of other dishes that aren't on Set Meal A. We wouldn't stand for it in any other life situation, so why do people keep putting up with it with Murdock ?? If you could buy specific channels rather than packages then that would be ok.

Yep. Undoubtedly the booster box is also a splitter. Main aerial cable goes in the back, and lots of other cables come out the front, each one going to a separate TV in the house.

The Sky engineer will not have touched your booster box. That's Terrestrial TV which he doesn't care about.

If your TV's are all digital then that means they have their own Freeview decoders inside them, which means you didn't need (and presumably didn't have) any separate set-top digi box for Freeview.

So all those TV's need to be able to see Freeview is one of those aerial cables plugged into the back of them.

Can you check that is still the case?

Are there any other cables plugged into them (except the main TV which must also have a Sky cable going into it)?
Realist, l am Sorry for the delay in replying. I have checked the other televisions and they only have aerial leads from the wall plugged into them. Except the aerial signal isn’t going into them!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's all too confusing isn't it.
Longy, There are so many technical permutations, it just starts to do your head in!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Longy, There are so many technical permutations, it just starts to do your head in!
I agree. I suppose it's because there are so many similar systems but made by different companies. Standardisation seems to be getting worse.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Could you get a Sky only channel in the bedroom before the change? And do the other TVs show the same channel as is being shown on the main TV?

https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skyinotherrooms.html

Hi Ray, l could only get Freeview in all the other rooms. Except, the kitchen where l could watch the same channel that l was playing on the main tv. This was made possible by whatever the builders put in the loft.

It was getting Sky News on the other televisions that threw me into thinking l was able to get Freesat as well as Freeview.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

24-04-2019, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Sky no longer offer the Sky + HD box but refurbished ones are relatively cheap on eBay. Sky dropped the TV-OUT connection to force people to take multi-room subscriptions and the mini boxes cost £99 after the first one.
Yes, l think this is what has happened and for why l can’t get anything except a fizzy screen on all the other televisions.
They said, I can revert back to my old Sky Plus box. I asked if l could have a new one as it’s old now. They said what you said, ‘You could buy one from eBay’!

I think my only choice is to stay with the new Q box and try and persevere with a picture that strains my eyes to the point l can’t watch it!
The alternative is to just throw good money after bad to purchase a refurbished Sky Plus box that might not be reliable.
Then to sort out something so that my other televisions work off the digital aerial. I did read something about a ‘hybrid’ something to go on the dish?
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2019, 12:28 PM

You can't use the sky dish as an aerial I'm afraid. From what you have said it seems the TV-OUT on your Sky + HD box was feeding the kitchen TV and the other TVs must have been fed from a terrestrial TV aerial. The change to Sky Q explains why the kitchen TV no longer works but I don't understand why the others have been affected.

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top