Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Re: Greta Thunberg

Well done to Greta for getting herself heard and all that but she has only been heard because she is on the current bandwagon. I have seen plenty of them in my time and once one has gone, it is replaced by another and so on. Anyone noticed that so many foods are Vegan at the moment? Even though Veganism has been around for as long as I can remember.

The Royals, they all get on the bandwagon, then fly off home in their helicopters or drive their free 4 x4 Range Rovers. Actors (luvvies), already mentioned.

What happened to Aids? What happened to Spongy forming whatsit which was going to eat everyone alive?

Of course I'm not saying it is wrong to consider the damage being done to the planet, things DO need to be done but it is only because the media is on the case that anyone like Greta will be heard.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So what exactly needs to be done Todger?
If we all go back to sitting round a campfire, living in caves and growing all of our food locally just what exactly are you suggesting we do...?

Will you be the first to sell your motor and turn off your heating, TV and other electrical devices? How will you explain to every other country in the world to do the same?

Put hundreds of thousands of people out of work to do what exactly?

I don't think the 'Eco Warriors' have thought this through have they.....
Rationing of some of the more polluting goods and services would be a very good if very unpopular start. Then a carbon tax on non-essential foodstuffs that are imported. Cars? When not ration hydrocarbon fuels, maybe a two or three tier basis.

Home heating and use of electricity gas and oil? Ration it.

These things, and many more can and should be done.

Germany has an obligation placed on industry, Der Grüne Punkt, there is no reason why the same could not be put in place here but extended to imports.

Thousands of people out of work?

The environmental cost of having so many people IN work is unacceptable. The bottom line is that the standard of living that we enjoy in The West is environmental massively unaffordable and simply can not, indeed MUST not continue.

On a personal level --- we've invested in triple glazing, dry lining our primary living area, fitted thermostatic radiator valves, installed timer controlled thermostats, had a three zone heating system retrofitted so that unused rooms are held only warm enough to minimise damage, LED lightbulbs throughout, seldom use the electric oven relying instead on the Aga and the microwave, and it really has cut our fuel bills tremendously which means that our carbon footprint has also been quite dramatically reduced.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Faced with things that need to be done and the inability of doing them without making use of packaging that is polluting there is little alternative. Yet.
So what was stopping these hypocrites from making up their own drinks / food before coming and using re-usable containers / flasks etc?

And, why didn't they bloody clean up after themselves?

Sorry, but this lot get on my bloody nerves.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:34 PM

My council are happy to take away shredded paper but we have to put it in a plastic bag.

just sayin'
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Greta is a child and being exploited by her opera singer mother who jets around the world doing shows (I think she is in Eurovision this year).

Climate change is bollocks - it's called weather and the earth has been heating up since the last ice-age.

And don't get me on fracking !

Grrr I'm having a bad day ha ha ha
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Greta is a child and being exploited by her opera singer mother who jets around the world doing shows (I think she is in Eurovision this year).

Climate change is bollocks - it's called weather and the earth has been heating up since the last ice-age.

Greta's mother have given up opera. She is an activist for the Paris Agreement .

She wrote a book about her family ???? One wonders why, and according to one report the book was launched the day after Greta had made presence felt on school strikes & a speech on climate change. On the day of the book's release, PR man Rentzhog published a picture of Greta on [school] strike on Instagram and published an article about her on Facebook. There's quite a lot of criticism going on in Sweden of this as and other connected companies gaining from Greta's convictions. Has she been pushed ? Well, we don't know .....
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
My council are happy to take away shredded paper but we have to put it in a plastic bag.

just sayin'

Our council take shredded paper but it can only go in the general waste with the left over baked beans.. they are full of wind , so I suppose it's ok. (Beans and Council)
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->

Sorry folks but while cyclical climate change has been going on since day#1 recent activity my mankind (started soon after the industrial revolution) has dramatically destabilised the natural cycle.

While the jury is regarding anthropogenic climate change and cyclical climate change exaggerated by what we've been and still are doing the inescapable fact is that we are responsible for the polution that is pushing up global climate change - in a BAD way.

But it's not only carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere that is creating the greenhouse effect problem.

There are other gasses that have a significantly greater greenhouse effect, Freon for example being nearly ELEVEN THOUSAND times the greenhouse effect potential of carbon dioxide.

And Freon ain't the worst.

But there's a multiplier factor to consider as a result of water vapour, a greenhouse gas, which is increasing because of global warming which is making a bad situation even worse.

Another multiplier as a result of elevated temperatures is methane (about 80 times CO2 greenhouse factor. Methane is increasingly being released from deep ocean deposits which had been laid down during the last ice age as methane hydrate and is being released into the atmosphere as gaseous methane. Changes to the oceans resulting from increased temperature (it takes very little) plus other man released polutants are increasing methane release.

And there is so very much more.

Sorry, but climate change as we are now witnessing it is not a load of (rhymes with) rowlocks. It is very very real.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 08:31 PM

On a personal level --- we've invested in triple glazing, dry lining our primary living area, fitted thermostatic radiator valves, installed timer controlled thermostats, had a three zone heating system retrofitted so that unused rooms are held only warm enough to minimise damage, LED lightbulbs throughout, seldom use the electric oven relying instead on the Aga and the microwave, and it really has cut our fuel bills tremendously which means that our carbon footprint has also been quite dramatically reduced.
Sorry but you do sound like the ultimate consumer. That all sounds wonderful but the average person on the street cannot afford to do all this.

Anyway whatever people do now will generate yet more energy in changing around all the stuff we use. Leading to loads more waste. They scrap all diesel cars - more waste. After about seven years an electric car battery is no longer usable - more waste because it cannot be recycled.

At the same time the older population and the disabled rely on cars to be mobile and independent. This is all going to be an excuse for more indirect tax for those who are unable to afford it.

Yes you can get rid of gas guzzling four by fours but the real culprits are the lorries we rely on to transport goods and the buses which we should apparently be catching instead of driving our low emission vehicles. I'm sure all these speed bumps they put in cause far more pollution than driving at 30 or 40mph.

Lots of people are unhappy about the situation but few have any solutions and the ideas being bandied about may make some feel morally superior but will not in fact make much difference.

The real problems are geopolitical and relate to big issues which individuals have no control over.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Sorry folks but while cyclical climate change has been going on since day#1 recent activity my mankind (started soon after the industrial revolution) has dramatically destabilised the natural cycle.

While the jury is regarding anthropogenic climate change and cyclical climate change exaggerated by what we've been and still are doing the inescapable fact is that we are responsible for the polution that is pushing up global climate change - in a BAD way.

But it's not only carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere that is creating the greenhouse effect problem.

There are other gasses that have a significantly greater greenhouse effect, Freon for example being nearly ELEVEN THOUSAND times the greenhouse effect potential of carbon dioxide.

And Freon ain't the worst.

But there's a multiplier factor to consider as a result of water vapour, a greenhouse gas, which is increasing because of global warming which is making a bad situation even worse.

Another multiplier as a result of elevated temperatures is methane (about 80 times CO2 greenhouse factor. Methane is increasingly being released from deep ocean deposits which had been laid down during the last ice age as methane hydrate and is being released into the atmosphere as gaseous methane. Changes to the oceans resulting from increased temperature (it takes very little) plus other man released polutants are increasing methane release.

And there is so very much more.

Sorry, but climate change as we are now witnessing it is not a load of (rhymes with) rowlocks. It is very very real.
Yes but what has the average person in the street to do with Freon and other emissions? We don't have detailed knowledge of how all the stuff we use is produced. That information is not in the public domain.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top