Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 09:56 PM

My Dad Again

My dad is quite short, about 5ft 5" and he weighs 11st 7lb.

The district nurse came to check his blood pressure the other day and said it was a little on the high side.

My dad asked her why it might be high and she said "you are overweight, that is causing your blood pressure to be a little high"

Now my dad is paranoid about his diet and talking of restricting everything he enjoys like the odd biscuit or cake. He loves a fish from fish shop but he said he wont touch the batter every again.

I make all his meals and I make sure he gets a good nutritious and healthy diet as he has type 2 diabetes but even with diabetes everything is ok in moderation. He doesn't have loads of biscuits or cakes and never eats anything fatty so I think its going to be hard for him to lose any weight as he isn't much mobile anymore.

I'm quite mad at that nurse for scaring my dad like that, for goodness sakes he is 86 in June, if he cant have a treat now and then at his old age its a bugger.

He is only half a stone overweight! I'm feeling kinda sorry he feels the need to restrict things he enjoys in life, he doesn't have much of a life as it is
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 10:15 PM

Re: My Dad Again

Overweight at 11st 7lb at a height of 5' 5"? What are these doctors thinking about? They say my ideal weight for my height should be around eleven and half stone too but I once got down to that weight in my late teens/early twenties and I looked emaciated like I'd just come back from building the Burma Railway. Never again - I looked and felt ill and it impinged on my job at the time which required a certain amount of bulk.

Tell your pop not to worry about a few pounds (sheesh).
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 11:13 PM

I agree with Judd, your father is certainly not obese.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 11:31 PM

I am confused as to why a nurse would be giving advice that should come from only a physician or a registered dietician.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am confused as to why a nurse would be giving advice that should come from only a physician or a registered dietician.
It's the norm around here. When I go for my blood tests and what have you, I'm always seen by the practice nurse who has been trained to do various tests and treatments. She certainly knows her stuff.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's the norm around here. When I go for my blood tests and what have you, I'm always seen by the practice nurse who has been trained to do various tests and treatments. She certainly knows her stuff.
Hi

Same here Judd.

The practice nurse is however at least 5 inches shorter than me and is best described as rotund.

More a case of do what I say, not what I do.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 05:36 AM

Most interesting, gentlemen! Thank you for the education.

Here only nurse practitioners could offer this level of advise. They usually have 2-3 additional years of education beyond four years of university training.

Four-year nurses are not permitted to offer medical advise, they essentially only carry out the orders of physicians. That said, they can be phenomenal in their own right.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 06:08 AM

The nurse probably said that because she didn't know the answer. Instead she should have made an appointment for a blood test to determine the cause.

He should be on blood pressure medication. At that age it's often down to kidney function so important to keep it controlled, particularly with diabetes. My mum's the same age and has similar issues. It's very difficult for people that age to lose weight because they aren't able to be as active.

It's a shame your dad now feels he has to give up foods that bring him comfort. There's not much else to make you feel good than eating something you fancy when you're over 80 and housebound. They just need to get him on the right meds and leave older people to eat what they like.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 06:24 AM

Does your Dad do sitting exercises?

I've read that even a modest amount of sittting exercise can have a very good effect on blood pressure and overall health in the over-80s.

Here's one source, but there are others....

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercis...ing-exercises/
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 06:31 AM

My own instinct would be to ignore the nurse.

Who's to say your dad's blood pressure will go down if he loses half a stone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top