Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Re: Do you find celebrity chefs patronising?

A decent steak should be bloody and I'm quite partial to a lightly cooked sprout.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 10:23 PM

I usually go the annual Malton Food Lovers Festival - which is brilliant - and have met one or two 'celebrity' chefs there. Oddly enough even the ones who seem patronising on TV are quite nice to talk to in person.

As for the ones on TV shows - well -

Jamie Oliver - has good ideas but is so irritating I lose patience with him.

Raymond Blanc - comes across really well.

Miguel Barclay - is good and his recipes work.

The Hairy Bikers - are a laugh a minute.

The two Fat Ladies - were good entertainment value.

Don't like Heston Blumental - some of his stuff is just weird, and the loathsome Gordon Ramsay has all the charm of a dead slug.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 11:27 PM

Tabs says: " Don't like Heston Blumental - some of his stuff is just weird, and the loathsome Gordon Ramsay has all the charm of a dead slug."

I agree completely.
With Ramsay, it is not only his attitude I don't like, but his disgusting foul mouth. Can't stand the man.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 11:33 PM

Many chefs are just showmen and have lots of people to help them and prepare food
Who wants to see chefs chopping up vegetables and screaming at staff as well as throwing perfectly good food in the bin.

As for the equipment they sell most of it is poor quality and overpriced, as well as their very expensive Restaurants.

I saw a famous Restauranteur in the Green Grocers buying all the Cauliflowers with black spots on as they were cheap and buying frozen Black Forest Gateau when it was on the menu as homemade!

Many women and men at home can cook just as well.
How ironic that there is more convenience food sold now than ever than before when there is a multitude of food programmes on TV.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2019, 11:36 PM

Can't 'quote' Ray's post 11 for some reason,

However, he said . . " A decent steak should be bloody and I'm quite partial to a lightly cooked sprout.

Well sorry Ray, but I can't think of anything worse.
I would feel physically sick if I saw blood on my plate.

I agree with Judd about undercooked lamb too - or undercooked any meat come to that.

Apart from the appearance, I always believe cooking kills any bacteria present, so I think eating half cooked meat is very unwise.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 05:20 AM

Hi

I do like the chefs on Masterchef Australia.

They give demonstrations, full of tips and easy recipes.

The ice cream bread is ace for the kids to make.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 05:31 AM

I agree with Fender. You cook your food as you like it, nobody else has the right to tell you how to cook just because they are on TV. Sure, they have probably worked their way up a la Masterchef type nonsense (and Greg Wallace is a typical patronising chef btw) but just because you don't have the qualification on a certificate doesn't mean your cooking is rubbish or it tastes horrible.

I used to class Gordon Ramsay as the ultimate in a rude chef but he knows his stuff and even though it's all for television he is passionate about cooking food properly and I quite enjoy his USA shows particularly.

Can't stand Jamie Oliver or Mary Berry. Delia Smith is okay if you want to make a rhubarb crumble and most of the others are just stereotypes of each other in white coats.
A la Carte food to me which shows a plate with a dollop of veggie pate adourned with a sprig of parsley with a trail of sauce around it doesn't do it for me. That's not a meal! £50 for a jumped up fish cake! Buggerthat!

Rick Stein is okay though if you like prawns.

My favourites are the Hairy Bikers. Just down to earth good lads who tell it as it is.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:50 AM

Celebrity chefs patronising? What can I say. All of them are sometimes..Some of them are all the time..you know the rest. As far as the ones on television go, I don't actively watch them but if they're on and they have something useful to share, I'll listen. No matter how they say it. Of course there are a few who are beyond the pale. Like that oxygen thief Gordon Ramsay. But hey..if people are silly enough to give him air time..Or worse still , work for him, they deserve him. I'm only interested in the food. I live in a city where food is original and a "fair dinkum" art form. The "celebrity" chefs are stars in their own establishments and people go to see ( and taste them) perform on their own live stage. Their restaurants. They are welcoming and fun and seldom patronising. It is not a culture of snobbery and you don't have to be filthy rich or a VIP to enjoy some of the best and most culturally diverse food on the planet. As far as cooking goes, have the attitude that you can learn something from everybody. Regardless of their attitude. After all you don't have to have them around for dinner innit!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 06:56 AM

Yeah, what's all that about: taking a kitchen "on the road"?! Who wants to watch somebody running around a kitchen in a local city hall stage show?
That's just daft and a fad tbh.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top