Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:11 PM

3.7 Million Householders Will Now Have to Pay for over 75's Television Licence!

Disgusting. Pensioners over 75 who are already struggling to survive on their measly pensions, especially those just above the pension credit limit, will see this as another tax of which they cannot possibly afford.

Comments please.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Re: 3.7 Million Householders Will Now Have to Pay for over 75's Television Licence!

It's typical of the BBC who are only interested in the younger viewers and listeners. You only have to listen to Radio4 to realise that is now an ethnic station.

It's about time we had the choice of whether to pay for the BBC or not. Personally, I would be happy to kick it into touch.

Shame on them.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Re: 3.7 Million Householders Will Now Have to Pay for over 75's Television Licence!

It's not definite yet.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:34 PM

Its not being scrapped altogether, all those in receipt of Pension Credit (I'm one) will continue to get 'free' licences. Aren't I the lucky one ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It's not definite yet.
I'm afraid it is Tiffany. From June 2020. Only those pensioners over the age of 75 and on Pension Credit will continue to get the free over 75 TV licence, according to the BBC news.

So, if a pensioner aged over 75 but living in the home of one of their children, their husband and kids, and claiming Pension Credit, will still be eligible for free licence, entitling the WHOLE FAMILY to be able to watch for free, whereas a lone pensioner over the age of 75 living alone, and struggling to get by, but not eligible for Pension Credit due to being just above the limit, will have to start finding another £150.50 per year to pay for the only thing that brings them an iota of pleasure in the latter years of their lives.
It's unbelievably mean and spiteful of the BBC, especially with the six figure salaries BBC pays out willy nilly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 02:39 PM

I don't mind paying the licence fee , I don't smoke or drink or go to the cinema but I do have my radio on most of the day and half the night sometimes so I feel I get my moneys worth.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Its not being scrapped altogether, all those in receipt of Pension Credit (I'm one) will continue to get 'free' licences. Aren't I the lucky one ???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487
Well aren't you the lucky one.
I will have to pay, my Son lives here & so I shall charge him half the price of the license, I think that's fair.
I do think it's nasty of them to charge us after the years we haven't had to pay it. I feel for those who can't afford it too.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-06-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't mind paying the licence fee , I don't smoke or drink or go to the cinema but I do have my radio on most of the day and half the night sometimes so I feel I get my moneys worth.
I too am fortunate that we can afford to pay for a television licence Meg, but there are thousands upon thousands of over 75's that cannot possibly afford to pay this, what is basically a tax on them.

My heart will go out next year, especially to those in their 80's and 90's who in some cases, will simply have no idea that unless they buy a tv licence, they will be committing a criminal offence by watching their favourite programme on television. Probably the only pleasure in life they have.

Dear Lord, what will happen when the detector van jobsworths knock on their doors?
Who's going to inform them? Perhaps the flying 15 minute visit carer?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Only five months before I would have qualified too. What I never had I'll never miss I suppose. Anyway, I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to pay for a licence, as are many over 75 year olds.

What's needed is some sort of criteria to decide who can afford to pay and who can't. Maybe the qualification for Pension Credit (mentioned by Uncle Joe) already takes care of that. Just need to make sure those who are entitled to the payment actually claim it and therefore become exempt from buying a TV licence.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 03:47 PM

Is this just for those who have newly arrived at 75? Or will those who already have a free licence now have to pay for one?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top