Join for free
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 08:00 PM

Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

There has been lots of talk, often by the PM herself, that the Government has been trying hard to keep both major Factions, in the Brexit Negotiations, happy and on side, by trying to fix any issues which either side has during negotiations.

Has it not become obvious, by now, that the most efficient course, having accepted the outcome of the referendum, would have been to place the most focus on the Majority wish, i.e. to leave.

The situation, which we have now reached,is that very large proportions of both sides are now unhappy, with the Government, when only the minority should have been the ones upset.

Had the Gov pressed on, enthusiastically, with the leave wishes, the Tories might even have gone into the next election with a chance of winning.

Instead, we have heard of Remain backers running the Cabinet, leave backers walking away because of the process, voters getting nasty - what next?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

As Thatcher once said, if you walk in the middle of the road you get hit from cars on both sides.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 10:18 PM

As you highlight, the only "side" to be appeased are the Leavers. Leave won, so we must leave.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2019, 10:44 PM

Well I would be satisfied if we had an agreed deal with a decent transition period and a plan for the future.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There has been lots of talk, often by the PM herself, that the Government has been trying hard to keep both major Factions, in the Brexit Negotiations, happy and on side, by trying to fix any issues which either side has during negotiations.

Has it not become obvious, by now, that the most efficient course, having accepted the outcome of the referendum, would have been to place the most focus on the Majority wish, i.e. to leave.

The situation, which we have now reached,is that very large proportions of both sides are now unhappy, with the Government, when only the minority should have been the ones upset.

Had the Gov pressed on, enthusiastically, with the leave wishes, the Tories might even have gone into the next election with a chance of winning.

Instead, we have heard of Remain backers running the Cabinet, leave backers walking away because of the process, voters getting nasty - what next?
Unless I've got this wrong, the majority of the voting public want to leave the EU.

Conversely, the majority of politicians want to remain in the EU.

I think that might be something to do with the unrest we are witnessing!
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Unless I've got this wrong, the majority of the voting public want to leave the EU.

Recent pols taken over the last few months would seem to indicate that you have indeed got this wrong.

If there were to be another vote it would be sensible to make it legally binding unlike the 2016 referendum
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

It's not helped by the civil servants that work with MPs appear to be remainers too. Perhaps if they had been a little more enthused about the idea we might not have seen this split.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's not helped by the civil servants that work with MPs appear to be remainers too. Perhaps if they had been a little more enthused about the idea we might not have seen this split.
Hi

Really?

How many high grade Civil Servants do you know?

A plan was prepared, the Politicians did not like it.

Nothing was done.

The EU Civil Servants prepared their Plan, the EU Politicians accepted it and they are miles ahead of us.

They have recruited staff and have trained them, they have computer systems in place.

thay have published their Plan in the event of a No Deal and the concessions they are prepared to make to benefit them.

These concessions are time limited and designed solely to protect the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46617152
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Yes really the lead ones have been openly pro EU. Do I need to know them personally ? I think not as I doubt anyone here knows Teresa May personally but we all know her enough to talk about her.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes really the lead ones have been openly pro EU. Do I need to know them personally ? I think not as I doubt anyone here knows Teresa May personally but we all know her enough to talk about her.
Hi

You are wrong on that one.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top