Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Re: Book recommendations

Flippin heck, you lot get through a lot of books I used to read a lot in my youth but honestly don't seem to have the time now. I recently read 'Marley & Me' (John Grogan) which I must say I quite liked ("tho I hated his wife and her superficial reasons for having a dog) and 'A Dog Abroad' ( Bruce Foge) which I definately did NOT like.

The only author I can claim to have read every thing is Scott Fitzgerald who coined the phrase 'The Jazz Age' and if any of you have not read 'The Great Gatesby' and 'The Last Tycoon' I would strongly urge you to do so because IMO the films just do not do justice to his work.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 06:00 PM

The films rarely do justice to any books, IMO ... ....
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Just light reading for me, Maeve Binchy,Erica James even Mr. T's books [Alan Titchmarsh] I also liked The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton by Catherine Alliott. I like comfort reading, no scrub that, I just like comfort.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 01:45 PM

One book I do notrecommend is Sara Palin's new book
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Amen to that, Buzzie!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

07-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Any Terry Pratchett fans out there? Just finished his latest: Unseen Academicals; had me ROTFL. His usual wry wit, humor and insight into human nature in a marvellous fantasy world. And of course, a happy ending.

I see the Queen has knighted him, it's Sir Terry now.
Tazza
New Member!
Yorkshire
Tazza is female 

10-12-2009, 08:43 PM

I'm just wading through Christine Feehans 'Dark' series, I have read one of the 'Leopard' series also by the same author and it was one of those books that you just don't want to put down, as are the others. I'm just waithing for the ones i haven't read to come into the library for me!
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 10:45 PM

The Journeyer by Gary Jennings.

I would even try to give a synopsis of this book, except to say you should read it. It is about Marco Polo.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 01:59 PM

I can thoroughly recommend "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larsson. It is part of a trilogy of his books, which can be read alone, but if one starts with The Girl... it does provide the background to the character. These are thrillers and Larsson delivered the books to his publisher and died before they were published, so was unaware of their huge success. He was only in his 50's I believe. I read that he died intestate which meant that his long-time partner, of many years, did not get a penny of the royalties. Sad.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Any Terry Pratchett fans out there? Just finished his latest: Unseen Academicals; had me ROTFL. His usual wry wit, humor and insight into human nature in a marvellous fantasy world. And of course, a happy ending.

I see the Queen has knighted him, it's Sir Terry now.
Oh yes! Excellent.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top