Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Archer
Adelaide, South Australia
Archer is male  Archer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 11:31 PM

Re: Our motor cars

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Dead right, it is only a piece of metal.
I saw on the tv last night where a mini hit a brand new jag on the M42. Both cars were right offs, but the Jag suffered more than the mini, and it was only 3 weeks old
Imagine seeing your car of that age just a pile of scrap, it doesn't pay to buy new.
Pretty sad to have such a poor opinion of an item that you (the royal you) couldn't live without and one of the few things you will ever own that gives you trouble free service for many years...
I also have a favourite watch and I love my wheelchair, I love my photography gear as well despite them all being only tools...to say it's only a piece of metal is quite an under statement for one of the most significant pieces of technology in the modern era...I think it was voted number 2 or 3 in a recent survey of the most important inventions ever in the wolds history.
As for new cars, I always buy new and if you can afford it, why buy someone else's problems...? Never had a bad one yet...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 11:45 PM

[QUOTE=Archer;356085]Pretty sad to have such a poor opinion of an item that you couldn't live without and one of the few things you will ever own that gives you trouble free service for many years..QUOTE]

Yes, I feel much the same Archer.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:58 AM

No, I don't get attached but I named mine after Joy.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:27 PM

I bought my Peugeot 405 1.9 Turbo-Diesel brand new in 1994 and I still remember that day in July walking into the dealership to pick her up. The fresh paint, new smelling interior and the fact everything was completely unused.

Now it has over 360,000 miles on the clock, some rust on the rear wheel arches, a few bumps and scrapes and the interior smells of cigarettes and Old Spice, but she always fires up every morning without problem and gets me out and about 365 days of the year.

Many a time over the past few years I have been tempted to buy a new car but when it comes down to it I couldn't send that old girl off to a new home where she'd be scrapped as soon as the MOT expired.

My wife on the other hand holds no sentimentality for cars and happily replaced her old 1991 Rover 800 with a new MG6 earlier this year, so it just depends on the person I suppose.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
No, I don't get attached but I named mine after Joy.

Nice of you to think of me.
Archer
Adelaide, South Australia
Archer is male  Archer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 10:16 PM

Never actually named any of our cars...LOL
Lorraine's previous car, a Nissan Pulsar, was named by its first owner and we kept the name going just for fun...
"Polly Pulsar"
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 10:30 PM

My family bought me a personal number plate for a special birthday. I have a three letter name so was lucky to have got it. The trouble is I couldn't get away with much with my name plastered across the number plate!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top