Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2015, 10:30 PM

You think old cars were better?

If you think old cars were built then better watch this:

Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2015, 10:38 PM

Re: You think old cars were better?

Not built better, but so much more interesting. I would be able to pick out a car from just a glimpse. Now a lot of them look so similar due to design safety.

You could spot a Rolls from miles away, now they just mix in with the crowd.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 06:03 AM

A car is just a contraption to get you from A to B.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 07:09 AM

older cars had character. among many I owned I had three Morris Minors and each "talked" as you could here the ticking of the petrol pump and orther engine sounds. Repair was just a spanner and screwdriver set away. In fact I rebuilt a 4 door version obtaining some body parts from the scrap yard as they were bolt on wings and doors.

My very first car was a 1954 Ford Anglia 100e model. this had 3 foreward and a reverse gear and the window wipers were vacuum powered, put your foot down and they stopped working.

yes those early cars were better built and so individual . You could easily tell an Austin A90 from a Vauxhall Vangard or a Hillman Imp from a Singer Vogue

Now due to the jelly mould cars of today restricted in design by legislation and wind resistance testing the all look the same.

The question was quote"You think old cars were better?" unquote but no mention in what respect

For character and interest yes
for safety and economy no

which would I prefer? the older cars every time but not for long journeys.

This of course I refer to UK cars
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Good sequence Bruce and really interesting to see the difference in cabin protection but give me a modern car any time for many reasons, the romanticism of old cars is just that......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The question was quote"You think old cars were better?" unquote but no mention in what respect

s
Eh? Did you watch the video? Did you need written notes too?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Those were not UK cars so a bit pointless showing them on a UK site
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
Not built better, but so much more interesting. I would be able to pick out a car from just a glimpse. Now a lot of them look so similar due to design safety.

You could spot a Rolls from miles away, now they just mix in with the crowd.
Pipped at the post - just what I was gonna say - love the older cars
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 10:24 AM

Of course they were better, but in different ways.

They had more style. Back when I was a child, I could recognise all cars at a distance because they were all so much different. Nowadays, they all look the same, down to the paintwork. There are that many shades of grey today, if you took a colour photo on a car park, it would look to be black and white...

They lasted longer. Despite the fact that modern cars are supposedly more relaible, rust less, and so on, proportionally more are getting scrapped.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
Of course they were better, but in different ways.

They had more style. Back when I was a child, I could recognise all cars at a distance because they were all so much different. Nowadays, they all look the same, down to the paintwork. There are that many shades of grey today, if you took a colour photo on a car park, it would look to be black and white...

They lasted longer. Despite the fact that modern cars are supposedly more relaible, rust less, and so on, proportionally more are getting scrapped.

I agree - its a throwaway society - I see so many old cars on the road and they look fab and obviously still going strong

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top