Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2015, 05:31 PM

Re: You think old cars were better?

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can confirm that the 105E needed sneaky tactics when it came to starting the engine. If it thought is was actually going to be needed to drive from A to B it would somehow know this and refuse to start.

I used to whistle a tune and and idly clean the back window. When it was lulled into thinking it didn't have to do anything, I'd quickly leap inside and start the engine. That usually worked. Yes this is a joke ..but it was genuinely temperamental
Thank You!
You obviously had the dubious pleasure of "knowing" a 105E.

I bought that car of mine for £50 "as seen" and it smirked at me when I first saw it.

I thought "This is going to be a fight" but I bought it, mainly 'cos I had no choice - I needed transport and a wheelbarrow wouldn't cut it - know what I mean?

Most of the time this little car fired-up just fine, especially if the sun was shining but if it was dark, dank and miserable, so was the bloody car - didn't want to go out and get it's tyres wet - oh no!

The odd thing about this car was I decided to get rid of it after it let me down badly at a time when I really needed it to be on my side.

I just couldn't forgive that and a good talking-to resulted in the sulks so an Ad went up in the Newspaper shop.

The first bloke to come and have a decko wanted a test drive and I'd had a fall so I couldn't actually drive.

I trusted him and gave him the keys.

The little sod started first time - and that was the last time I saw it.

I reported it to Reggie, the local plod, (and a mate), and he asked me "Did you really want it back though Steve?" - ever astute our Reg - so I had to admit that No, I was so much happier, so I didn't!!

My next car was a dune buggy - totally ridiculous unless you live near Bondi Beach.

The kids loved it but I soon got fed-up with getting soaked - no roof!!

Got a Ford Corsair then with, lowered suspension, alloy wheels, a win-carb Lotus Cortina engine and stupid shark's teeth down both front wings - The Red Shark as everyone called it.
That car could leave a TR6 standing!! stevmk2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2015, 05:53 AM

Re: You think old cars were better?

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Maybe not safety wise, but I'd like to see a 2014 car that will last to 380,000 miles like my 1994 Peugeot 405 1.9 turbo diesel has. And still on the original engine and transmission!!
Modern taxis do that all the time surely?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top