Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 11:29 AM

Re: Question about standard cars or stick shift cars in England

Although I myself drive an automatic, I remember struggling to push some guys BMW automatic stuck in the snow round where I live. Like Joe says, this fellow was cursing the fact, that a manual would have been so much easier for traction.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Canadians are OK I believe because their licence is issued by the national government in Montreal and UK / Canada have an agreement on driving licences, this may not apply to mainland Europe 'tho.

Americans have to be careful because in many mainland Europe countries the American Driving Licence is not acceptable because it is not issued by Washington, it is issued by each individual state but Washington has decreed that the indiviudual states can not negotiate with overseas governments so Americans have to obtain an International Driving Licence from the AAA before coming to Europe.
That's true, there is a reciprocal agreement between Canada and UK, but I think it is still the law that you can only drive on your own licence for 12 months in either country. After that you have to take a driving test appropriate for the country you are living in if you intend to stay longer than 12 months. That was why I had to take the Canadian driving test and I believe it is the same situation for Canadians staying in the UK longer than 12 months.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
but I think it is still the law that you can only drive on your own licence for 12 months in either country. After that you have to take a driving test appropriate for the country you are living in if you intend to stay longer than 12 months.
Yes, agree with that as well.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Plantman, it depends on how much snow you get - 'manual' gear change cars are a lot easier to drive in snow as you drive in a HIGHER gear than one would normally choose for the relevant conditions. In automatic cars, this is not always possible.
I see your point Joe, but most modern autos have some built in little gizmos to help the driver in bad conditions. The problem with driving in snow and ice though, I think lies in the lack of training, and lack of understanding of the difference in driving techniques required. To the bad driver then, whether manual or automatic wouldn't make any difference without having the understanding of what is required. Ironically, to the good driver who has understanding of what is required it wouldn't matter either! (if you get my drift).
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 11:01 PM

When we were in Canada I found out what real snow was. The snow was really big snow, which kept coming all winter. Once it became compacted it stayed there until the Spring thaw came. I used to work until 10.00pm and sometimes I was quite scared getting home on my own. The cold was also unbelievable at night and when there was a true "white out" even the city was bad. Everyone just dealt with it and things kept moving. There was not much option but to drive and I was pleased to have a big automatic car, built like a tank with snow chains on. I don't think I would want to do it now.
Ford Prefect
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ford Prefect is male 

18-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Canadians are OK I believe because their licence is issued by the national government in Montreal and UK / Canada have an agreement on driving licences, this may not apply to mainland Europe 'tho.
Montreal? Bite your tongue!
Our Federal Government is in Ottawa, Ontario - NOT Montreal.
Further, drivers licenses are issued by each province; not the Federal Government.

And yes ClaireMarie, as some have stated, the pedal arrangement is the same as here in Canada. For ease of manufacturing, the drive train of cars is the same, regardless of which side the driver operates the vehicle. In other words, the transmission and shift linkage are set up the same, with the shifter in the centre of the car. As such, the shift pattern is also the same (except reverse, which varies by manufacturer) in the standard H pattern with 1st being top left, etc.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ford Prefect ->
Montreal? Bite your tongue!
Our Federal Government is in Ottawa, Ontario - NOT Montreal.
Further, drivers licenses are issued by each province; not the Federal Government.
OMG huge big humble apologies FP

But I assume that if each province issues it's own driving licence, the Federal government (In Ottowa) has negotiated the reciprocal agreement with EU or is it only the UK
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

20-03-2011, 08:32 PM

I think (but am not sure) Losos that each Province or Territory has its own regulations, including the level of reciprocal agreement with other countries. When we were living there each Province issued its own number plates which stayed with the person rather than the vehicle. I'm not sure how that works, but I still have mine - I brought them back as a keepsake.
Ford Prefect
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ford Prefect is male 

21-03-2011, 03:52 PM

hahaha. Losos, no worries. We have this rivalry between Ontario and Quebec hence my bristling at Montreal.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

21-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think (but am not sure) Losos that each Province or Territory has its own regulations, including the level of reciprocal agreement with other countries.
I'm sure you are right, I've just highlighted this because here (In mainland Europe) Americans can not just call in to the local Dept. of transport and swap their licence, it's been a hot topic on the local ex-pats forum and our American cousins are not happy about it they especially don't like seeing the Brits and Germans walking in and changing over their licence in a matter of minutes

Allegedly (And here I'm just repeating what has been said on the forum) the reason is that Uncle Sam in his wisdom decreed that individual states can not negotiate with overseas governments, but as in Canada it is the regional states (or provinces, or whatever) that actually issue the licence.

Shall we just say that it seems the Canadians are one step ahead of the game here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top