Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 05:12 PM

Making Garden Art.

Not quite sure what other people think about mixing art amongst the already colourful flower gardens they have but here goes.
I really don't get out that much (so bare with my idiocy)

I love my little garden's front and back and I love all kinds of colour in the summer.
In the winter months I love to look out and see different coloured Evergreens.
February arrives and I start to see a stirring in the Camellia and the Mimosa bright pink and bright yellow.They will last well into April/May if I am lucky.I also have a well established tri-colour Camellia so expecting something from that early next year.
But also in the winter mix I have my garden ornaments out there in between the winter shrubs with their rainbows of colour. Now and again maintenance is required on the ornaments.
Over a matter of years I had to regularly stick the tortoise's head back on because I am sure that one of the lumberjack gnomes was chopping it off.
A couple of years ago mind, I drilled a hole partly through the head and then in line into the body and put a piece of coat hanger wire through both sides and then glued it and painted it.
It as kept its head ever since but I am sure getting some dirty looks of the head gnome when I pass him.
Some 5 years ago I did a batch of butterfly's and painted and varnished them various colour's,most are still ok the odd touch of paint or varnish because the insects do like to eat away at the colours and don't get me started on the wasp's.
About a month ago I decided I would try making some more for the back fence and they are coming on nicely finished quite a few but sorry I am unable to post pictures.

Today I also had a brain wave,over the years friends and family normally give me plants as presents/gifts when they visit.Well because I am totally useless with indoor plants I am normally left with various coloured outer pots and I have a fair collection I can tell you.
If I say to some one I would like a indoor plant,they always come with yet another colourful outer pot so that also goes to add to my collection later in the year when the plant die's..
Well here is the brain wave .
So instead of buying plant pots I am now trying to put in use some of these larger pots.
First I had to clean and prepare and then tape the bottom and then drill a couple of holes for the drainage.
After this I have weatherproofed them with a few coats of varnish and they are all lined up outside at present in the blazing sunshine drying off.
When they are ready I will put a plant of kinds in them and add their colour to my garden.
I know some may possibly crack in the winter months because of the deep frosts but on the whole I am sure most will survive.
They have already had 3 or 4 years outside anyways because I have no room inside for anymore.
So thats some of my garden art.
Anybody out there been dabbling with colourful added attractions to the garden.
Don't hesitate to post .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Re: Making Garden Art.

I wish I was artistic enough to create something bold for our garden Longfellow. I once went to somebody's garden and they had a lot of mirrors strategically placed and they had a really dramatic effect on what was quite a small place. I have a collection of stone fairies and elves around the garden, but they are not coloured - just plain old stone (or concrete). I also have the obelisks to grow things up and various planters which look like lead - they are some sort of mashed up recycled stuff. I've been tempted to get a few of the metal ladybirds I've seen in our garden centre, but nothing more than that. Oh I forgot - OH has painted the bird table a lovely shade of lavender and has given it a beautiful metallic gold painted top finial (I think it was a joke). All the garden furniture is now lavender so there is some colour in there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Not quite sure what other people think about mixing art amongst the already colourful flower gardens they have but here goes.
I really don't get out that much (so bare with my idiocy)

I love my little garden's front and back and I love all kinds of colour in the summer.
In the winter months I love to look out and see different coloured Evergreens.
February arrives and I start to see a stirring in the Camellia and the Mimosa bright pink and bright yellow.They will last well into April/May if I am lucky.I also have a well established tri-colour Camellia so expecting something from that early next year.
But also in the winter mix I have my garden ornaments out there in between the winter shrubs with their rainbows of colour. Now and again maintenance is required on the ornaments.
Over a matter of years I had to regularly stick the tortoise's head back on because I am sure that one of the lumberjack gnomes was chopping it off.
A couple of years ago mind, I drilled a hole partly through the head and then in line into the body and put a piece of coat hanger wire through both sides and then glued it and painted it.
It as kept its head ever since but I am sure getting some dirty looks of the head gnome when I pass him.
Some 5 years ago I did a batch of butterfly's and painted and varnished them various colour's,most are still ok the odd touch of paint or varnish because the insects do like to eat away at the colours and don't get me started on the wasp's.
About a month ago I decided I would try making some more for the back fence and they are coming on nicely finished quite a few but sorry I am unable to post pictures.

Today I also had a brain wave,over the years friends and family normally give me plants as presents/gifts when they visit.Well because I am totally useless with indoor plants I am normally left with various coloured outer pots and I have a fair collection I can tell you.
If I say to some one I would like a indoor plant,they always come with yet another colourful outer pot so that also goes to add to my collection later in the year when the plant die's..
Well here is the brain wave .
So instead of buying plant pots I am now trying to put in use some of these larger pots.
First I had to clean and prepare and then tape the bottom and then drill a couple of holes for the drainage.
After this I have weatherproofed them with a few coats of varnish and they are all lined up outside at present in the blazing sunshine drying off.
When they are ready I will put a plant of kinds in them and add their colour to my garden.
I know some may possibly crack in the winter months because of the deep frosts but on the whole I am sure most will survive.
They have already had 3 or 4 years outside anyways because I have no room inside for anymore.
So thats some of my garden art.
Anybody out there been dabbling with colourful added attractions to the garden.
Don't hesitate to post .
It sounds interesting LF. Are you able to show any pics?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2019, 09:03 PM

Hiya bigfella, I like to see colour too. I like how colour effects us too.
It can be vibrant, soothing, relaxing, cheerful, healing, . . . lots of things.

I had an idea for your spare pots too, if I may make a suggestion?

I found the music on this video a little irritating, but you will still get the idea anyway.
If you like paints, you could paint all different faces on them too.
Have a look, but let me know if the link doesn't work:

http://www.layoftheland.co.uk/make-flower-pot-people/
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 12:49 AM

Do you watch 'Garden Rescue ' afternoons on BBC 1 @ 3.45pm ?

Charlie Dimmock (you must remember Charlie) often comes up with some rather different ideas for the artistic side of gardening, and quite often she makes things out of old stuff.
Today she had a nice idea of making wreaths entwined with various things for the birds, such a moss for making nests and nuts. They looked quite attractive hanging against the wall ,with a few strips of ribbon attached. Once the birds have depleted it, you can start again.

Your art garden sounds fun LF, and you are obviously getting a lot of pleasure from it. I wish you could post some pics.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:38 AM

Trial and error just signed up for Imageshack for 29 days trial lets see if I can get the hang of this picture posting again.
Note on the planters the butterfly's I made about 4 years ago are still looking good.
Last year's lilly's.

This years Lilly that is growing up to the sky full of buds.

New smaller butterfly's that are going on the back fence when they are all finished and the ladybug's.

Easy to make models from plaster paris.

Hey its not that hard posting pictures is it.
longfellow
Chatterbox

18-06-2019, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I found the music on this video a little irritating, but you will still get the idea anyway.

Really enjoyed that and the music Mups thank you gives me new idea's and something new to think about.
longfellow
Chatterbox

18-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Do you watch 'Garden Rescue ' afternoons on BBC 1 @ 3.45pm ?

Charlie Dimmock (you must remember Charlie) often comes up with some rather different ideas for the artistic side of gardening, and quite often she makes things out of old stuff.
Today she had a nice idea of making wreaths entwined with various things for the birds, such a moss for making nests and nuts. They looked quite attractive hanging against the wall ,with a few strips of ribbon attached. Once the birds have depleted it, you can start again.

Your art garden sounds fun LF, and you are obviously getting a lot of pleasure from it. I wish you could post some pics.
Pictures posted Ducky keep sending those new ideas I only have a small garden but I can also use the idea's and make things for my boys garden and my friend's something to take them when I get out as the weather improve's.
Oh and yes I remember those old programs with Charlie Dimmock and Alan Titchmarsh and the guy that built things for them Tommy Walsh I think it was called Groundforce. Yes she was a bouncy girl in those days.. My daughter is very similar but she is more or a Tommy Walsh type of girl she can build anything she puts her mind to.
Hope your gardener as turned up now the weather is drying off to cut that grass.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Billie and Ben
longfellow
Chatterbox

18-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It sounds interesting LF. Are you able to show any pics?
All done LD hope there are not to many I think now I have sussed it out I may have got carried away a little bit..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top