Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 12:57 AM

Seedball

A firm called -

https://www.seedball.co.uk/

has come up with a new twist on an ancient technique for boosting seed germination. They have encased seeds in a small ball of clay, compost and chilli.

They say the clay deters predators and degrades once wet to let the seeds germinate, and the chilli powder deters slugs and snails.

They do Seedball tubes, or a Classic tin collection, and each pack has a 2 & half years shelf life.

Have a look, see what you think.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Re: Seedball

Interesting idea Mups. i would love to know what the results are.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 06:16 PM

You try 'em Mups and we'll await your report!
Just don't lick your fingers afyer planting them
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
You try 'em Mups and we'll await your report!
Just don't lick your fingers afyer planting them

I thought at first that £6 quid a tin was quite expensive for seed. Then I saw that there are 20 balls per tin, and 30 seeds inside each ball - so 600 seeds for £6 didn't seem to bad after all.

If I had a larger garden and could turn over a piece I didn't need to purely attract butterflies, I might well try the butterfly seed tin just for an experiment, but there isn't room where I am now, so butterflys and bees will have to come and take what they need from my existing flowers I'm afraid.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A firm called -

https://www.seedball.co.uk/

has come up with a new twist on an ancient technique for boosting seed germination. They have encased seeds in a small ball of clay, compost and chilli.

They say the clay deters predators and degrades once wet to let the seeds germinate, and the chilli powder deters slugs and snails.

They do Seedball tubes, or a Classic tin collection, and each pack has a 2 & half years shelf life.

Have a look, see what you think.
Not sure on the clay degrading,but apart from that looks good.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Not sure on the clay degrading,but apart from that looks good.

Yes, I wondered about that too.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the link Mups, looks good!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top