Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Re: Help me save money

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Hi Ripple

We only have a very small 2 bed house one which is used as a computer room. We don't like the idea of bringing strangers into our home but my cousin in America rents her room out with AirBNB

Thanks for the idea though x
What about renting out your garage as storage space .
If you have one !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Lots of good advice here which I can’t improve on, except to reiterate what Realist has suggested, like looking at your outgoings and what you can ideally cancel, or get deals on.

I wouldn’t move into a retirement complex, if there are management/service charge fees still to pay. I still pay rent and service charge on my flat (small mortgage paid off in 2004 when I took the voluntary redundancy) and can’t wait to sell up, buy my own house and not have to pay the fees and have the constraints/problems of living here. The management do eff all to improve the site and I’m sick of complaining.

Do consider the dog walking, that you could do together, but also think of insurance first. Maybe test the water and see if there is a take up.

Your OH will rightly feel down and possibly depressed. Don’t be impatient with him, but be supportive and gently coax him into seeing what he can do with his time. Both go for walks, which might make him feel a little better, and you might get ideas, or inspiration. I do a lot of thinking when out with the dog.

Good luck.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 11:19 AM

Don’t forget Poundland. Posh and well heeled canny people even go there!

Do you have the space and means to grow your own veg, salad?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Check out Miguel Barclay's Meals for £1 books LQs

My son tells me it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever gave him!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 03:29 AM

Hi

Rely on your commonsense, there are no quick fixes.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Check out Miguel Barclay's Meals for £1 books LQs

My son tells me it was one of the best Christmas presents I ever gave him!
That's a good one - and it works!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 08:30 AM

I wouldn't do anything regarding your house until you've checked how any extra cash in your account would impact on benefits....I'm assuming your husband has claimed unemployment benefit....it might be he is entitled to assistance in other ways too.....I would suggest you both attend an advice centre and check out what your entitlements are before making any financial decisions.

I know Leeds City Council run one stop shop advice centre's you will need to make an appointment to see one of their benefits and financial advisors...they will advise on the best way forward. You have both paid onto the system all your lives...now is the time you need help and good advice....don't pass it up.

Good luck LQ...you really deserve some right now.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top