Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Re: Gatt 24

Originally Posted by Bread ->
So you think the EU making our products more expensive for then is a good idea ,?

My friend has 5000 sheep and he voted leave ... go figure

And they all voted brexit no doubt.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:04 AM

So you think the EU making our products more expensive for then is a good idea ,?

My friend has 5000 sheep and he voted leave ... go figure
I wold think they would rather UK remain and therefor no tariffs as at present however as they have constantly stated “if someone leaves the club, they cannot expect the same benefits” The may well pay more for our goods but they may also follow your example and seek cheaper products elsewhere

As for your friend. I’ve always assumed Nigel voted leave
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
I wold think they would rather UK remain and therefor no tariffs as at present however as they have constantly stated “if someone leaves the club, they cannot expect the same benefits” The may well pay more for our goods but they may also follow your example and seek cheaper products elsewhere

As for your friend. I’ve always assumed Nigel voted leave
You mean the benefits that Canada, South Korea and Japan get ?
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 03:04 PM

You mean the benefits that Canada, South Korea and Japan get ?
They are negotiated and selective, both parties protecting some elements of their markets whilst opening up others.

Leaving but wanting to retain all the free trade benefits of membership is the Unicorn fantasy of many Brexiteers, BJ being one of them
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 03:36 PM

They are negotiated and selective, both parties protecting some elements of their markets whilst opening up others.

Leaving but wanting to retain all the free trade benefits of membership is the Unicorn fantasy of many Brexiteers, BJ being one of them
We have to pay 10 billion a year for our free trade deal and give away our fishing rights. I don't see Canada, Singapore or Japan having to do that. We also have to be in the awful Customs Union so we can't make our own free trade deals with other countries either.

I can see 3 unicorns - the Japan unicorn, the South Korean Unicorn and the Canada unicorn .....why can't you ?

We will be the biggest single market for the EU when we leave, importing 800,000 German cars and over a million bottles of Proseco - why is the EU wanting to put tarrifs on them and make them much more expensive than they already are ?

Why does the EU want to do this - how will they make up the shortfall of all these goods when we buy them cheaper from elsewhere ? The land of unicorns ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Hi

We will get a WTO Trade Deal, it is in both our and the EU's interest.

It will not be Canada+++, that is not in the EU's interest.

Liam Fox, a leading Brexiteer and the person responsible for negotiating our Trade Deals has stated that he has spoken with the Director General of the WTO and been told that Article 24 cannot be used in the event of a No Deal.

Boris has said he will not pay the withdrawal agreement money if we do not get what we want..

No withdrawal agreement money, no Transition Period.

If he gets the job, he has 2 days before Parliament breaks up for Summer.

They are not back until 3rd September, a few days later it is Party Conference Season.

We leave on 31st October unless we ask for an extension, which he says he will not ask for.

He needs to get 5 Acts of Parliament into law in the few weeks he has just to allow us to leave.

These are the boring but essential technical bits.

Theresa May is doing nothing to help, in fact she is hindering a No Deal.

She has even fallen out with the Chancellor about this, she is trying to spend the Brexit War Chest before the new PM is elected.

I simply cannot see how Boris can deliver on his promises.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

24-06-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We will get a WTO Trade Deal, it is in both our and the EU's interest.

It will not be Canada+++, that is not in the EU's interest.

Liam Fox, a leading Brexiteer and the person responsible for negotiating our Trade Deals has stated that he has spoken with the Director General of the WTO and been told that Article 24 cannot be used in the event of a No Deal.

Boris has said he will not pay the withdrawal agreement money if we do not get what we want..

No withdrawal agreement money, no Transition Period.

If he gets the job, he has 2 days before Parliament breaks up for Summer.

They are not back until 3rd September, a few days later it is Party Conference Season.

We leave on 31st October unless we ask for an extension, which he says he will not ask for.

He needs to get 5 Acts of Parliament into law in the few weeks he has just to allow us to leave.

These are the boring but essential technical bits.

Theresa May is doing nothing to help, in fact she is hindering a No Deal.

She has even fallen out with the Chancellor about this, she is trying to spend the Brexit War Chest before the new PM is elected.

I simply cannot see how Boris can deliver on his promises.

That's bollox.

Article 24 is there for the reason where 2 countries have a trade agreement and they wish to renegotiate it, so during the negotiating period the existing agreement can remain in place even though it may have already expired.

The WTO is run by the membership under the rules that are agreed by the membership - I don't know where you get this idea that we need to ask permission from the WTO management in order to do anything. The only agreement we need for A24 is that both the UK and the EU agree to invoke it - we are both members of the WTO and are bound by it's rules

The transition period was the 2 year period between us triggering A50 and the leave date - you are wrong on this as well - it's been and gone. The withdrawal bill was a treaty between the EU and the UK to ensure we were kept in the EU in all but name, as a non-voting member, that's why it was rejected 3 times, because only a handful of people are stupid enough to agree it.

The default position of the UK is to leave on 31st October 2019 with or without a trade deal in place. It is UK and European law - a change in the law is needed to stop us leaving without a deal and by that it would mean to revoke A50, get an extension again or get a deal.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 04:07 PM

We have to pay 10 billion a year for our free trade deal and give away our fishing rights. I don't see Canada, Singapore or Japan having to do that. We also have to be in the awful Customs Union so we can't make our own free trade deals with other countries either.

I can see 3 unicorns - the Japan unicorn, the South Korean Unicorn and the Canada unicorn .....why can't you ?

We will be the biggest single market for the EU when we leave, importing 800,000 German cars and over a million bottles of Proseco - why is the EU wanting to put tarrifs on them and make them much more expensive than they already are ?

Why does the EU want to do this - how will they make up the shortfall of all these goods when we buy them cheaper from elsewhere ? The land of unicorns ?
Hi

How are we going to buy them cheaper from elsewhere?

Without a Free Trade Agreement we have to introduce Standard Tariffs and Quotas under WTO Rules.

The most Favoured Nation Rule.

Whatever tariffs we put on goods from the EU, we must put on other Countries.

We could reduce tariffs to zero, make things cheaper for us, but that would apply to the EU as well.

No other Country would be in anyway obliged to reduce their tariffs accordingly

Why then would they want a Free Trade Agreement with us?

They would have nothing to gain at all..

The plans of Boris are pie in the sky, simply not achievable.

He will say anything and everything to become PM.

We have to leave and the only person I trust is Farage.

He is a committed Leaver, he has not lied to us, he has been open and honest.

It will hurt in the short term, but worth it.

Farage will take us out and then he has the intelligence to negotiate new Free Trade Deals when we are out, including with the EU.

Simple basic deals which the World operates on.

We are not a special case, the World does not owe us a living.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

24-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

How are we going to buy them cheaper from elsewhere?

Without a Free Trade Agreement we have to introduce Standard Tariffs and Quotas under WTO Rules.

The most Favoured Nation Rule.

Whatever tariffs we put on goods from the EU, we must put on other Countries.

We could reduce tariffs to zero, make things cheaper for us, but that would apply to the EU as well.

No other Country would be in anyway obliged to reduce their tariffs accordingly

Why then would they want a Free Trade Agreement with us?

They would have nothing to gain at all..

The plans of Boris are pie in the sky, simply not achievable.

He will say anything and everything to become PM.

We have to leave and the only person I trust is Farage.

He is a committed Leaver, he has not lied to us, he has been open and honest.

It will hurt in the short term, but worth it.

Farage will take us out and then he has the intelligence to negotiate new Free Trade Deals when we are out, including with the EU.

Simple basic deals which the World operates on.

We are not a special case, the World does not owe us a living.

We don't have to put tarrifs on our goods at all if we don't want to and if we have trading agreements with other countries then tarrifs will only apply to EU imports - bad news for them.

Another point is that because of our historic FTA with the EU, the unit cost of items are already higher in most cases than other countries. If we avoid a 10% tariff, the suppliers can still load their products with an extra 2-3% profit margin without us feeling the pain, compared to the common external tarrif that's applied to all 3rd countries.

We can reduce our tarrifs independently from the EU once we are out of the customs union as well - if they want to put tarrifs on our exports its up to them - like every other country in the world that is outside the EU and without an FTA with them.

The EU is a declining market - our future trade is outside of it, India, China, Brazil, USA etc.

On Farage - I agree totally with you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 04:53 PM

You still seem to be clinging to the notion that they need us more than we need them.
You still seem to be clinging to the notion that "they" the European Commission and all its facile bureaucrats is the same "they" as the actual member states. They very much are not the same.

Whilst Druncker & Co might not give a flying sh*t their problem is that the member states DO very much care. France, Germany etc will be absolutely livid if they can't sell their goods to the UK and there is no question that this "they" very much do need us more than we need them.
In fact if the EU try stopping them selling goods to the UK after a "No deal" exit I fully expect there to be a widespread EU revolution. DExit and ITaLeave won't be far away I'm sure.

So by p*ssing about Druncker & Co simply increase the wrath of the member states and that will be the final nail in the EU coffin.

Bring it on !

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top