Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 11:30 PM

Cars for sale parked on the road.

I notice some people park their cars with 'for sale' signs on public roads.
I am aware as long as they are displaying a current tax disc they are not technically not doing anything wrong but the practice annoys me.

To me main roads are not the place to be displaying unwanted cars and the practice seems to be growing. I saw three in a row the other day .
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 11:55 PM

Re: Cars for sale parked on the road.

The selling on public roads is an offence, taxed or not I believe.

Problem is, when one person does it, everyone else does it as well and one car becomes many in a short time.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 12:02 AM

On the drive in to Southport there are loads of them, but I didn't know it was an offence if they are parked on the road with a tax disc.

I've never done that myself, but I can understand why folk would prefer to sell privately, rather than go to a dealership.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 12:09 AM

I have just read that the selling of vehicles in public roads governed by legislation contained within the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and the Highways Act 1980.

You can be issued with fixed penelty notice or fined to a max of £2500

If these people are bothering you, you should consider reporting them.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Now then, you learn something new every day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I've never done that myself, but I can understand why folk would prefer to sell privately, rather than go to a dealership.
So can I Mollie but they could park the cars on their own drives or at the least outside their houses
or better still advertise them not create traffic hazards on a main road.

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I have just read that the selling of vehicles in public roads governed by legislation contained within the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and the Highways Act 1980.

You can be issued with fixed penelty notice or fined to a max of £2500

If these people are bothering you, you should consider reporting them.
Thank you Graham I didn't realise this and I may report them in the future if I think they are causing a traffic hazard like the three I saw parked together last week.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 08:27 AM

I think it depends on the local by-laws. In Harrogate there is a massive grass area surrounding the town centre on 3 sides. It's historically common grazing land and can never be built on. There are loads of roads criss crossing it and in one area there are daily 30 or 40 cars parked that are for sale. The majority of these cars are being sold by car traders. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. You often see traffic wardens checking tax discs.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 07:44 AM

The quickest and easiest way to sell a car is to place and advert in your local news agents window. People see the advert and even if they dont want a car normally know someone who does and pass on the ad, by word of mouth.

Twice I have sold cars this way and on each occaision the car has been bought before the end of the first day.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top