Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 12:32 AM

Re: Are central/remote locking systems on cars reliable?

Message from my OH who is a full on Geek...

There was a problem some years ago that hit Windermere - cars would not unlock. The car key fob sends out a coded signal, falling inside the licensed 433MHz range used by other low power devices and the amateur radio bands. The problem in Windermere seems to have been due to traffic light controllers effectively jamming the key fob signals. It is not impossible that the receiver inside the car has been triggered by something like this, though the code should be unique and changes on each key press and that should prevent it happening.

I use a 433Mhz transmitter in the car and have never experienced problems. It generates a much higher level of signal than a key fob and my key fob is 433MHz. Radio control cars don't generally work in this band.

The most likely reason (and it is a long shot / chance in a million) is that someone triggered their own keyfob and the car unlocked by pure coincidence in the same frequency and code sequence. My guess, and it is just an unqualified opinion, is that it is unlikely to happen again. Of course, the best advice ever is not to leave valuables in the car and double check that it is locked when you pass. If it does this again, I would speak with the garage in case there is a receiver or system fault.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-1897148.html

For a longer explanation and more geek links look at:

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/feb...r_key_fobs.htm
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Re: Are central/remote locking systems on cars reliable?

Thank you for the suggestions everyone
Cassie as a number of people in the villiage were leaving for work in their cars at that time I would guess that may be the answer . I will read the links later..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top