Join for free
View Poll Results: Would you vote to stay or go?
STAY IN THE EU 34 27.87%
LEAVE THE EU 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Page 31 of 131 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 07:30 PM

Re: EU...IN or OUT?

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I have been listening to the latest reports/threats/scaremongering about the consequences for Britain if we leave the EU.
I have listened to a lot of the latest propaganda from both sides of the stay/leave campaign so far and have come to the conclusion that there will be some losses and some gains for all of us if we leave but no one can know for sure exactly what they will be until they happen because we have no previous experience of the circumstances .

What some forget is half the world gets by without belonging to the EU and we did so too long before we joined and we can do so again .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The problem is this, and it is a big one.

Call me Dave has put all the eggs in one basket, which is that we vote to stay in.

He will be sadly disappointed.

That is where the problem is, we have no exit plans in place, no strategy, nothing.

Anyone sensible would have the plans already in place, he hasn't.
Indeed. Perhaps he knows something that we don't. Like the EU's policy of ordering further referenda until 'we get it right'!

If we do see sense and vote OUT, and Dopey and his EU mates insist that the referendum needs repeating (or even just ignores it), I wonder what reaction we shall see.

I know we are a democracy, which implies that we the people decide major issues, but I'm afraid I still have my doubts.

If in such a situation someone calls for a civil war, I'm in!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
'Meanwhile, the data shows that the more austere a country is, the worse it grows. And it could be argued we’ve had the slowest recovery from a recession since records began. Without the Tories rampant austerity policies, we’d be growing much faster than we are now.
I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about economics, but I'm sure I heard on the news that our economy is doing far better than the Eurozone, and at the same time we are heavily subsidising the EU.

Just think how rich we could become if we left the EU!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:59 PM

I would like to leave the EU but at the moment it's a major restraining factor on the Tories. I'm more than a bit concerned about what they will do if they have free reign over everything. Trust them to be do the best for us?.....No way. I don't trust them an inch, they are ruthless and don't care who they trample.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 05:01 AM

If Britain does leave the EU what will happen to all the people who took advantage of the fact that they can live anywhere in the EU and instead of merely whinging about Britain moved to somewhere warmer?

What will be their status in their adopted homeland if Britain leaves the EU?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If Britain does leave the EU what will happen to all the people who took advantage of the fact that they can live anywhere in the EU and instead of merely whinging about Britain moved to somewhere warmer?

I imagine it will be exactly the same as any other immigrant in those countries who originate from non EU states. Why would it change?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Everyone looking for a warm place to retire and spend their Autumn years will have to migrate to Australia instead. Watch out Bruce, the Brits are coming!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
'Meanwhile, the data shows that the more austere a country is, the worse it grows. And it could be argued we’ve had the slowest recovery from a recession since records began. Without the Tories rampant austerity policies, we’d be growing much faster than we are now.

Accordingly, this lack of growth meant the Tories embarrassingly lost our AAA credit rating in 2013. This is the first time this has happened since we were first rated in 1979.'
Is this why just about every backward nation in Europe wants to come here?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 09:11 AM

Hi

There are 1.26 million UK Citizens living in the EU.

What will happen to them is uncertain.

Given the school playground nature of Politics, if, as some on here want, we start restricting EU Citizens coming to the UK, the EU will do the same.

If, as is suggested in the Media, we start sending EU Migrants back home, the EU will do the same.

The biggest issue regarding numbers could be reciprocal taxation.

If, as some of the Media suggest, we stop paying benefits immediately to EU Migrants, EU Countries could end Reciprocal Tax arrangements.

This will cost us money and disproportionally impact on UK Pensioners living in the EU,

At the moment Income Tax is paid in the country of origin of the money.

UK Pensioners could well find their Pensions taxed in the Country where they live, not here in the UK.

That will put them, depending on how much they earn, in a position of being taxed twice.

It must be remembered that the UK is a very low tax country compared to the EU, where in many Countries they do not have our very generous tax free amounts.

In Poland, you start paying Income Tax when you earn £600 a year, not £10,600 as in the UK, the rate is 18%, as against 20% in the UK.

You start paying Higher Rate Tax at £18,000 a year, as against £42,000 in Poland.

In Portugal, there is no tax free allowance at all and when you earn over £5,000 a year Income Tax is 28.5%, over £16,000 a year it is 37%.

Which explains why there are so many Polish Small Businesses registered here in the UK.

In the small village where I live, there are 17 Polish and 2 Portuguese Businesses registered, all paying taxes here in the UK.

Ian Duncan Smith and the Daily Mail are not shouting about how much tax we will be losing are they?

We know how much we will save when we leave, but no one has costed how much it will cost us.

We are not idiots, we can be trusted, I find it offensive that we are being treated like mushrooms by both sides.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 09:54 AM

I'll echo your final sentence

Page 31 of 131 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top