Join for free
Page 8 of 22 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 07:15 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
.....And I refer to your original quote. Most of it is saying we need sunshine for our vitamin D source, does it not?
It's saying sunshine is a good thing, a great thing, hugely healthy provided we don't overdo it (which applies to anything of course). It's our best source of Vitamin D and Vit D rich foods are the next best imho.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There's a useful table at the website below highlighting Vit D values for various foods.

https://www.askdoctork.com/is-it-bet...l-201303164512

"The current recommendation for vitamin D is 600 international units (IU) per day for people up to age 70, and 800 IU per day for those over age 70"

Food, Vit D content (IU's)
===================

Salmon, cooked, 3-1/2 ounces: 360

Mackerel, cooked, 3-1/2 ounces: 345

Tuna fish, canned in oil, drained, 3 ounces: 200

Sardines, canned in oil, drained, 1-3/4 ounces: 250

Orange juice, fortified, 8 ounces: 100

Milk, any fat content, vitamin D–fortified, 1 cup: 98

Breakfast cereal, fortified with 10% of the DV, 3/4-cup to 1-cup: 40–100
Realist, l ate all those things listed but not the Tuna. Full fat milk, cheese, cream, steak, beef plus other goodness food but it didn’t stop my Vitamin D levels going down to 17.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Cutting through the crap and personal insults...

If the daily recommendation of VitD is somewhere between 600 and 800 IUs which converts to 15 to 20 mg then my 27 isn't deficient.

What the heck?

Just to be clear (now I sound like TM!!) it's a well known phenomenon that many folk have a VitD deficiency today because of constant application of high factor sunscreens, especially children.
Why stating this would cause a personal insult is beyond my understanding.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Realist, l ate all those things listed but not the Tuna. Full fat milk, cheese, cream, steak, beef plus other goodness food but it didn’t stop my Vitamin D levels going down to 17.
Yeah it's interesting. Twink too I think is in your same boat.

A trawl through various websites reveals a list of common causes of Vit D deficiency. This is a combined list I've found so far:

I first assume that:

1) You get a reasonable amount of sunshine
2) You're eating a good diet
3) You're not dark skinned
4) You're not preggers and lactating !

So the remaining causes I have read include:

5) Kidney problem that is preventing your body converting the Vit D. So here you DO get enough Vit D but your body struggles to use it and shows up as a deficiency

6) Intestinal disorders that prevent you absorbing Vit D such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease

7) Obeisity, people with a body mass index of 30 or greater often have low blood levels of vitamin D

8) Self-Imposed or Medically Restricted Diets

9) Following Fad or Vegan diets

10) You're taking medicines that interfere with your body's ability to convert or absorb vitamin D

11) Cancer sufferers

I doubt this list is exhaustive in any sense, those are just the common causes you see on most websites.

I can't remember but had half an incling that you might have previously posted about having gluten intolerance issues or did I mis remember that? Might have been another poster.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yeah it's interesting. Twink too I think is in your same boat.

A trawl through various websites reveals a list of common causes of Vit D deficiency. This is a combined list I've found so far:

I first assume that:

1) You get a reasonable amount of sunshine
2) You're eating a good diet
3) You're not dark skinned
4) You're not preggers and lactating !

So the remaining causes I have read include:

5) Kidney problem that is preventing your body converting the Vit D. So here you DO get enough Vit D but your body struggles to use it and shows up as a deficiency

6) Intestinal disorders that prevent you absorbing Vit D such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease

7) Obeisity, people with a body mass index of 30 or greater often have low blood levels of vitamin D

8) Self-Imposed or Medically Restricted Diets

9) Following Fad or Vegan diets

10) You're taking medicines that interfere with your body's ability to convert or absorb vitamin D

11) Cancer sufferers

I doubt this list is exhaustive in any sense, those are just the common causes you see on most websites.

I can't remember but had half an incling that you might have previously posted about having gluten intolerance issues or did I mis remember that? Might have been another poster.
Realist, Twink has had Cancer but l haven’t. It wasn’t me with a gluten intolerance.
I don’t have any food fads but avoid foods with MSG as l have a bad reaction to that. I cook all my food from scratch, l never eat ready meals, or drink squash or cola, just plain water and wine occasionally with a meal.
The only trouble l had with my stomach, was last year when l had gallstones.
I always have lots to do in my garden and go out when it’s sunny.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 10:41 PM

Realist, Twink has had Cancer but l haven’t. It wasn’t me with a gluten intolerance.
I don’t have any food fads but avoid foods with MSG as l have a bad reaction to that. I cook all my food from scratch, l never eat ready meals, or drink squash or cola, just plain water and wine occasionally with a meal.
Realist is always worth listening to, Art. He's going to live forever you know
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 11:06 PM

It's me who cannot eat gluten. But I don't think I have a vit D deficiency at the moment. I eat lots of oily fish, cheese, eggs etc.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Realist is always worth listening to, Art.
He's going to live forever you know
Like us all he has plenty that's worth listening to and noting, some that you disagree with, and some that you ignore, Floydy.
Simply not worth getting too concerned about it...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Art I wouldn't bother arguing with somebody who thinks he knows it all.... because he reads the internet.
If you asked the internet what has caused your headache you would get a list as long as your arm, but the only way you can find the true cause is by ruling out all the other possibilities.....and the internet cannot do that.
The pills the doctor gave me increased my Vit D levels from 26 (low level) to 57 ( normal) in 12 weeks so anybody, who says they don't work, is a fool in my opinion
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Jeeze!...is this still rattling on...get a nice big bowl of creamy porridge into You and You'll feel happy and content all day long...honest

Page 8 of 22 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top