Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

23-05-2013, 04:21 AM

Re: Do Monarchies still have a role to play in modern life?

can she legally or sovereignly by-pass Charles in favor of his son?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
Current countries with a Monarch
Australia – very successful – Queen of England the Monarch
Denmark – a commoner - Australian will become the Queen of Denmark
Canada – very successful – Queen of England the Monarch
Monaco – doing very well thank you
Luxembourg – doing very well thank you
Brunei; Norway; Belgium; Netherlands; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; Sweden; UAE;

And so the list goes on. Modern Monarchies play an important pageantry role in the functions of their country.
I think the Monarchy and a successful economy have as much to do with each other as your chance of winning the Olympics if you buy Reebok shoes.

The glaring flaw in your argument is that Britain, home to the Queen of Australia and the Queen of Canada, is broke and in many ways dysfunctional while China, a notionally communist country, and India, a republic, are the powerhouses of world economics.

I am afraid that your proposition is nonsense (though pageantry may be a pleasant time passer).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
can she legally or sovereignly by-pass Charles in favor of his son?
I'm no expert on the monarchy but I would think the answer is no to both of your questions; what she can do, is delay things - one popular theory is that she is trying to outlive him! Given her mother's age at the time she died, there's a chance of that happening!

Most people know that Charles isn't particularly popular with the general British public whereas William seems to be universally liked. The public have also taken to Kate - something they haven't been able to do with Camilla so I suspect the Queen may be wary that an unpopular king and queen could bring about the end of the monarchy.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Although in theory I instinctively oppose the idea of monarchy, in practice I think we have a lot more pressing social, economic and political problems to deal before we start expending energy on trying to get rid of a bit of archaic pageantry which no one really takes seriously any more in any case.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
a bit of archaic pageantry which no one really takes seriously any more in any case.
Very true
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 01:28 PM

I also have a horrible feeling it would cost us more to have an elected head than the royals cost us.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2013, 01:31 PM

I don't really understand this elected head bit - isn't that what the Prime Minister is? I don't understand how it would make any difference. I know you've tried to explain Uncle Joe but I still don't see what difference it would make regarding the royal family (other than not having to pay for their upkeep).
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 02:03 AM

Two minds about this - really.
Something (probably from my childhood conditioning) still has a soft-spot for royalty. And it's not just the pageantry and hoop-la.
To do with grace and dress and manners and standards - not always observed - particularly by the younger royals - but those digressions sort of highlight the point. To me.
And there is something attractive about tradition and a sense of history which people like the Yanks seem to crave but never achieve.
Then - there is the tourist dollar which the system apparently generates but I see that as a mere by-product.

ON THE OTHER HAND ... to have a Queen of Australia IRKS.
On the global scene we are seen to be lackeys and the Union Jack on our flag makes it almost indiscernible from that of New Zealand and a whole bunch of other 'ex-colonies'.
Time for an Aus republic and a purely Aus flag and no Governors or Governor-general.
It is only the model of that republic that has failed to win sufficient support at referenda here.

I know, I want it both ways.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Two minds about this - really.
Join the club!

And there is something attractive about tradition and a sense of history
That is my line of thinking too.

Then - there is the tourist dollar which the system apparently generates but I see that as a mere by-product.
I'm not so sure that England would lose a great deal. People would still want to see the palace and other royal paraphernalia; take, for example, how tourists travel to Stratford to see Shakespeare's birthplace - how many years has he not trodden the soil? The Jorvik Viking Centre in York attracts many visitors but there are no genuine Vikings in residence. The list is endless but I'm sure you get my drift.

ON THE OTHER HAND ... to have a Queen of Australia IRKS.
On the global scene we are seen to be lackeys
Are you? I wasn't aware of that and I've never heard anyone refer to Australians in that way.

Time for an Aus republic and a purely Aus flag and no Governors or Governor-general.
It is only the model of that republic that has failed to win sufficient support at referenda here.
I have no feelings about that one way or the other as it wouldn't affect Britain (as far as I'm aware) - if you want independence, then I hope you get it but from what I understand, Australians themselves have voted against that?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Is Australia still a colony? I didn't know that...I thought it had been an independent nation for donkey's years, and just affiliated to Britain through the Commonwealth.......

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top