Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

01-06-2013, 04:01 AM

The mothers rights or the childs rights?

Always a contentious issue and this case highlights it, set in a a strong catholic country San Salvador.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...an-el-salvador

the mother will undoubtedly be catholic herself and know the rules of her religion and state. However the state has found a way around the dilemma - allow a caesarian birth. The judges had ruled 4-1 not to allow an abortion despite her lawyers argument that her life was in extreme danger. They argued that the unborn childs life should not be endangered in anyway and took precedence over the mothers life - a hard call for all of us but easy call for the catholic church?

Where do you stand on this?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Re: The mothers rights or the childs rights?

I am very anti abortion, BUT in cases where a woman's life is threatened by the birth then I would say an abortion is the lesser of two evils.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Agree with Julie - Mother first - no question .....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:28 AM

I am anti abortion and pro birth control, thats all I have to say. I imagine there are many painful memories out there.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Mother should be saved especially in this case where the baby wouldn't have lived anyway ( or so I understand)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 09:41 AM

The Mother - has an established life - family,friends ..... too much to simply put an end to .....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 12:21 PM

There are three established facts here which cannot be ignored whatever anyone's beliefs about the rights and wrongs of abortion. They are all important, but the third carries the most weight and is of prime relevance IMO.

a) The woman has kidney failure and lupus (her health is at risk)
b) The foetus is 26 weeks+
c) The foetus has only a brain stem and no chance of surviving

It would not matter whether the pregnancy went to full time - the child would not survive - the foetus is not viable.
To make a woman (whether in full health or not) go to term in a situation like this is cruel and unnecessary, although if the law states that an abortion cannot be performed on a 26+ week foetus then there is a dilemma which must be overcome, (although I think an exception should be made to the 26 week. This would be the most humane answer for both mother and child). Hopefully she won't have to go to full term - further risking her health - and the caesarean will be performed without further delay.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm with you lot. Was she ill before the pregnancy though? If she knew risks why take the chance of getting pregnant?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Catholic country so possibly no contraception available, this is one reason I could never be a Catholic it's sheer madness in this day and age not to protect yourself against disease and pregnancy.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2013, 02:55 PM

As with all others that have posted, I also see no point in risking the woman's life when the foetus won't survive anyway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top