Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Re: Britain's Pensioners

The way to make us all better? Share things equally........simple.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
The way to make us all better? Share things equally........simple.

Russia tried that in 1917 took a long time to find out it was wrong and unworkable.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 06:44 PM

What I'm talking about is greedy people being proper human beings and sharing voluntarily, will never happen but I can dream.....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Twiz - I like the idea where the community have their own money or tokens, a carpenter does work for someone - they in turn use their skill to provide him with food or work.... The problem with that is it must be a rare thing these days to find the 'skills' to make it work nationally...
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 12:35 AM

There are new laws on the way which could
make pensioners even poorer.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Twiz - I like the idea where the community have their own money or tokens, a carpenter does work for someone - they in turn use their skill to provide him with food or work.... The problem with that is it must be a rare thing these days to find the 'skills' to make it work nationally...
Maybe the first thing to knock on the head is the concept of owning as much as possible.

I saw a news item, many years ago, on car pooling/sharing where the local residents gave up personal car ownership and, instead, had a fleet of cars that they would book out for us as and when they needed them - this is the closest I could find for it on the net http://www.managenergy.net/resources/788

The problem with your scenario Pats (as was put to me when I once suggested it) is that you would get brain surgeons wanting to know why they should study 7+ years but get no more recompense than a carpenter. I love the idea of this scenario but I can see it falling at the first hurdle because of that problem.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
There are new laws on the way which could
make pensioners even poorer.
From what I've seen so far (and I could easily have missed bits), this will only affect affluent pensioners?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Uncle Joe - is that what the median disposable income bit means?

Also, as we're often referred to as a rich nation, where are all those riches that keep being referred to?
MEDIAN average is , from memory, the average of a series of numbers with the anomalies or extremes taken out.

For example

5+5 + 5 + 5 +100 = 120 giving an average of 24

take out the odd high figure of 100
& you get the more realistic average of 5

Perhaps someone cleverer than me can improve on that.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Many thanks Robert but I really am numerically challenged and I can't even figure out where the 24 came from
mari41
Wynyard. Tasmania
mari41 is female  mari41 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Many thanks Robert but I really am numerically challenged and I can't even figure out where the 24 came from
There was me thinking that I was the only one who couldn't work that out.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top