Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 07:54 AM

Re: Midlife crisis!

It was always "Sport Bikes" for me, I always thought youngsters who rode (or craved) Harley's or their ilk early on, were destined to be plodders all their life.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It was always "Sport Bikes" for me, I always thought youngsters who rode (or craved) Harley's or their ilk early on, were destined to be plodders all their life.
Speed when younger and the thrill of turning the throttle hard. Awesome. Did a fair bit of that . Eventually I liked the burble of a single cylinder or twin and easy cruising where I could take in the sights. Tend to miss a lot when blasting everywhere .

All this talk about bikes will probably get me going again and I want another bike! I'd better watch it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Wrinkly is this truly a mid-life crisis, or rather a marriage that is just going wrong? It's easy to blame the undefined mid-life crisis.
Sorry if that sounds unsympathetic, but I often wonder how much people blame things on something to absolve themselves of responsibility.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Depends what you want the bike for. Nowadays I would only want a touring bike like the Lauge Jenson I pictured. Not that it's slow though - 0-60 in under 4 secs, top speed of 125mph.

While I appreciate the technological advances made by Japanese Sports Bikes, I was too spoiled by growing up in the era of big noisy British four strokes to be interested in what we called "Japanese Sewing Machines", no matter how fast they were. As a teenager I owned an amazing series of bikes - BSA, AJS, Ariel, Vincent, Velocette and Panthers - so unless a bike sounds like a butch road drill and has the obligatory oil stain beneath its sump, it ain't a real bike for me. Interestingly, none of my bikes (in my teenage years) ever cost me more than a tenner!

The bike I really wanted (and would still like) would be a Norton Rotary NRV588 as ridden back in the day by "Rocket Ron" Haslam. The first time I saw one face to face at Brands Hatch I fell in love with this evil black monster.

Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Wrinkly is this truly a mid-life crisis, or rather a marriage that is just going wrong? It's easy to blame the undefined mid-life crisis.
Sorry if that sounds unsympathetic, but I often wonder how much people blame things on something to absolve themselves of responsibility.
I can assure you this isn't a marriage going wrong, I think they just need a decent holiday, and this is exactly what they have done.
It appears to be over, but watch this space.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

06-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Depends what you want the bike for. Nowadays I would only want a touring bike like the Lauge Jenson I pictured. Not that it's slow though - 0-60 in under 4 secs, top speed of 125mph.

While I appreciate the technological advances made by Japanese Sports Bikes, I was too spoiled by growing up in the era of big noisy British four strokes to be interested in what we called "Japanese Sewing Machines", no matter how fast they were. As a teenager I owned an amazing series of bikes - BSA, AJS, Ariel, Vincent, Velocette and Panthers - so unless a bike sounds like a butch road drill and has the obligatory oil stain beneath its sump, it ain't a real bike for me. Interestingly, none of my bikes (in my teenage years) ever cost me more than a tenner!

The bike I really wanted (and would still like) would be a Norton Rotary NRV588 as ridden back in the day by "Rocket Ron" Haslam. The first time I saw one face to face at Brands Hatch I fell in love with this evil black monster.

used to have a Dot Scrambler - can I join the club?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I can assure you this isn't a marriage going wrong, I think they just need a decent holiday, and this is exactly what they have done.
It appears to be over, but watch this space.
Fingers crossed then Wrinkly - maybe sometimes, things can just get a bit too routine so hopefully, this'll be the pick-me-up they need.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I was too spoiled by growing up in the era of big noisy British four strokes to be interested in what we called "Japanese Sewing Machines", no matter how fast they were. As a teenager I owned an amazing series of bikes - BSA, AJS, Ariel, Vincent, Velocette and Panthers - so unless a bike sounds like a butch road drill and has the obligatory oil stain beneath its sump, it ain't a real bike for me. Interestingly, none of my bikes (in my teenage years) ever cost me more than a tenner!
Not to mention the joy of replacing gaskets on the run. however I loved my BSA A10 and B33. The latter had a power stoke about every lamp post in top gear!

Jap bikes just don't cut it (even though all my kids have them)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top