Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
poppy
lincolnshire
poppy is female  poppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:36 AM

men in uniform

am i being selfish ??? my daughter has 5 sm children lives around the corner . i have allways been there for them . helped a lot with the kids . he joined the raf 3yrs ago now he has a posting 200 miles away . they have their own house here . kids are settled at school . my daughter dosnt want to go and live in the housing down there . but hubby is saying she has to . i am not happy i love my grandkids to bits . i know she will have to go else he will put in for divorce . AM I BEING SELFISH TO HAVE MY CONCERNS
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Re: men in uniform

Well, the flip-side of that is that you wouldn't be bothered about where they live and I think that is far, far worse. You clearly do love your family so it is understandable that you will be upset.

The bit that would concern me, if I was in your shoes, is the threat of divorce if your daughter doesn't tow his line.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by poppy ->
am i being selfish ??? my daughter has 5 sm children lives around the corner . i have allways been there for them . helped a lot with the kids . he joined the raf 3yrs ago now he has a posting 200 miles away . they have their own house here . kids are settled at school . my daughter dosnt want to go and live in the housing down there . but hubby is saying she has to . i am not happy i love my grandkids to bits . i know she will have to go else he will put in for divorce . AM I BEING SELFISH TO HAVE MY CONCERNS

Jen darlin' - your Daughter 'signed up' to the life in the military when your Son-in-law joined the RAF. It is a nomadic existence as he is transferred from base to base according to the demands of the service. There is an RAF base at Akrotiri in Cyprus, and it is possible, at some point he could be transferred there too.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Sometimes Uncle Joe, that sense-robbing emotion called love can prevent you from seeing what could come about can't it. There's no more an accurte sight like hindsight
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Yes well, if it were me I wouldn't take to the notion of having 5 kids uprooted for what may be one temporary home after another, how old are the kids? if she doesn't want to go she shouldn't , he should've thought of the consequences when he joined up unless that's the only job he could get?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Quite right maggis - with five children and 3 years in the RAF, it sounds as though the RAF came after the marriage. I gave up my home and way of life for the second man I married and I would never ever do it again - biggest mistake of my life. I think that if you have a bad feeling about something you should listen to that feeling.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:32 AM

I do feel for you Poppy, not military but we had something similar happen after we had custody of my niece for 4 years, it tears you apart wondering if they are alright. I don't think there is an answer that doesn't hurt. All you can do is be there if they need you keep the lines of communication open, easier these days with computers and mobiles etc.

Make it clear to your daughter how much you love her and the children but don't put obstacles in her way just be there for them when they need you.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:38 AM

he joined the raf 3yrs ago now he has a posting 200 miles away . they have their own house here . kids are settled at school . my daughter dosnt want to go and live in the housing down there . but hubby is saying she has to
Hi Poppy clearly your SIL joined the RAF after starting a family and the question of relocation must have been discussed at the time he joined.

Your Daughter doesn't have to do anything, she has a choice.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:50 AM

Make sure she knows there is somewhere for her to come back to if she doesn't like her life there. That's all you can do really. He sounds controlling, those types like to isolate their wives from their families, I hope he isn't.
I left my 1st wasband in S. Africa, knowing my parents would take us in, but then made the mistake of going back, he abandoned us there! (Very controlling type) She & the kids may love it there, you never know, so just be there in case. Not that I'm telling you what to do.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 09:58 AM

I would have hoped they had discussed postings when he decided to join the RAF as they don't stay in one place.
All you can do is be there for your daughter and what ever she decides to do.
Not easy poppy when you have had them so close to you for all this time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top