Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Re: men in uniform

staying permanent in army life is not an option usually - however I hear of many armed forces men going to Afghanistan etc and of course not taking the family. I have met and socialized with army families on my travels and the kids I found were very resilient - they adapt well to change as long as the family home is secure - keep your home secure and you'll be OK.

but as Meg has pointed out we all have choices we have to make and sometimes your daughter will have to make choices without you intervening!
poppy
lincolnshire
poppy is female  poppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 11:34 AM

thanks for your reply . the kids are 6months old ranging to 11yrs old . i have seen the kids every day since they were born . but i know they have their lives to lead . i shall be upset . but my gut feeling is . it will be a big mistake . but its not for me to interfere . hes painting the move with rose tinted glasses on . i am only her mother i dont count he recons . but sometimes mother knows best . OR DO I ????
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 01:10 PM

You probably do know best but a wise mum never says so, nor does she interfere because sadly your daughter has to make her own mistakes and learn from them.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Yes we all have choices, but Jen's daughter doesn't, it is do as I do or I will divorce you!
He can't love them to say that horrible threat to her, by doing that he took away her choice.
She has her own mind, and only she can make that decision.
Just be there for her whatever she does Jen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 02:35 PM

But we are not in her marriage some women and indeed men actually prefer not having to make decisions. None of us are in that marriage and all Poppy can do is sit back and be ready should anything go wrong.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

05-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But we are not in her marriage some women and indeed men actually prefer not having to make decisions. None of us are in that marriage and all Poppy can do is sit back and be ready should anything go wrong.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 03:43 PM

You have to let them go,its her marriage, she must have known what she was in for. Travel is a wonderful experience and the children will be fine.That is life in the services,you soon grow up.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Life in the forces can be very disruptive and moving from place to place is part of the package.

They have to sort it out and I would not interfere.

If your daughter moves I presume you will not be in a position to give help and support when needed.?

Could this be the problem.?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 04:39 PM

I've not read every reply but I'm a bit puzzled when you say you have concerns. Why are you concerned? Presumably they're happy and stable together, and the children will still go to school and make new friends. Your daughter knew what to expect when she married an RAF chap I assume, it entails a lot of moving about and uprooting. I suspect your "concerns" are the fact that you won't see the grandchildren so often, or your daughter. I understand that, of course, but as I'm sure everyone else has said, marrying someone in the Forces brings a nomadic life with it.
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I do feel for you Poppy, not military but we had something similar happen after we had custody of my niece for 4 years, it tears you apart wondering if they are alright. I don't think there is an answer that doesn't hurt. All you can do is be there if they need you keep the lines of communication open, easier these days with computers and mobiles etc.

Make it clear to your daughter how much you love her and the children but don't put obstacles in her way just be there for them when they need you.
Totally agree, Julie

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top