Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Re: Meet the Rellies?

Hi Karen, I think MB means me .........but how can you take notice of a man who can't even spell "tiny" !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:44 PM

Oh I see - crikey I can be slow Alan
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 11:04 PM

Darwin never knew we would all be Digitized, if he had, he would have become pixelated.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

08-06-2013, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Evolution doesn't explain biogenesis. Evolution deals solely with the the way living things develop and progress. It is supported by scientific discoveries especially in the science of genetics, archaeology, anthropology and paleontology

Creationism claims a supreme being created life but then claims that then nothing changed. It has absolutely no basis in science at all.
ALL science comes from creationism!
mindbender
mindbender is male 

08-06-2013, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Karen, I think MB means me .........but how can you take notice of a man who can't even spell "tiny" !
nope - meant tinny - you are very TINNY and echo a lot - by the way Al - if you don't mind me calling you that will you still be signing in on your hols - it seems to have a hold on you?

ps: she also has a thing about blonde young men in dark glasses - you'll need to get rid of the missus on ya avatar to stand a chance Al!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 04:44 AM

A blast from the past there MB - it used to be BIG AL in my younger days !
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Did anyone see Bill Bailey's Jungle Hero on BBC2 Thurs and Fri?
It was about Alfred Russel Wallace who came up with the theory of evolution independently of Darwin
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
your sense of compassion, fair play, honesty, respect etc comes from where - the fairies at the bottom of the garden?
Originally Posted by MKJ
I hope I'm not missing the point again as I've already dropped an almighty clanger today .

My take on the quote above

I think man's nature is essentially a violent territorial one. We can obviously put up with our own family members and live amongst them and not harm them in any way (mostly) - protect them from harm in fact - yet can commit unspeakable horrors to others and not bat an eyelid. This no-doubt was fine a long time ago when there were not too many of us but there must have come a time when this just didn't work anymore. Populations expanded and territory size dwindled and overlapped. Families had to get along with each other and adopt principles that enabled people to co-exist peacefully - or relatively so. Hence certain ways of behaving evolved and have been passed on from generation to generation. These helpful guiding principles are in effect, or perhaps were in effect, the ones that existed in small family groups initially thereby allowing them to live together - compassion, fair play, honesty, respect etc. These have now spread and are 'unwritten law'.

I could expand on this with regard to prophets etc through the ages as they are in my mind a response to certain elements in a society that had adopted principles that were 'hurting' a great many people.
Still waiting for MB's counter to the above . The top quote was written by MB - right?
mindbender
mindbender is male 

08-06-2013, 12:02 PM

one point of view does not a Phd make!

I am sure if we did a honest survey on this website we would discover many persons who would never in their wildest dreams consider themselves violent or uncivilized and yet we are all aware that our societies do contain a percentage of psycopathic persons who can be very violent to women and children in particular.

the finer elements of all major religions teach peace and love and harmony and yet we see the terrible atrocities now being committed in Myanmar by Buddhists of all people. Old testament bibles are riddle with violence - Christ taught different.

There is no doubt that humans have the propensity for good and evil or violence and non-violence - where does it come from and go to is as good a guess as yours or mine.

Animals can show extreme caring traits and the opposite - my small initial quote you included up there was in response to a comment made by Alan - long lost in the antiquity of this thread and I am not going back to look for it.

I don't agree with your analysis because it is essentially a evolutionary one and one I do not believe in. that man [usually] but sometimes woman [take boadicea] can demonstrate both traits of love and kindness not only to his own kin and kith is observable in the past and modern world and violence as we observe with Muslim against Muslim in Syria. for me the explanations do not lie in evolution but history both biblical and non-biblical. That's my short answer - peace be with you brother ; inshallah
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
one point of view does not a Phd make!

I am sure if we did a honest survey on this website we would discover many persons who would never in their wildest dreams consider themselves violent or uncivilized and yet we are all aware that our societies do contain a percentage of psycopathic persons who can be very violent to women and children in particular.

the finer elements of all major religions teach peace and love and harmony and yet we see the terrible atrocities now being committed in Myanmar by Buddhists of all people. Old testament bibles are riddle with violence - Christ taught different.

There is no doubt that humans have the propensity for good and evil or violence and non-violence - where does it come from and go to is as good a guess as yours or mine.

Animals can show extreme caring traits and the opposite - my small initial quote you included up there was in response to a comment made by Alan - long lost in the antiquity of this thread and I am not going back to look for it.

I don't agree with your analysis because it is essentially a evolutionary one and one I do not believe in. that man [usually] but sometimes woman [take boadicea] can demonstrate both traits of love and kindness not only to his own kin and kith is observable in the past and modern world and violence as we observe with Muslim against Muslim in Syria. for me the explanations do not lie in evolution but history both biblical and non-biblical. That's my short answer - peace be with you brother ; inshallah
Good comback .

Don't listen to me cos if you do you will end up in s*** street with your religious beliefs shot to hell and back. On top of that it would also upset me terribly. What the hell is there to gain from it? I thought to throw an alternative argument in because it might make you have a little rethink on your more extreme views.

Anyways peace to you too and never give up your beliefs for anyone.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top