Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Self Esteem.

Do you think it's important if you don't think much of yourself ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Re: Self Esteem.

If you don't rate yourself very highly, how can you expect others to?

I think having respect for youself is very important - is even more important.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:46 AM

I think a lot of people have low self esteem, both men and women but probably women more so. They are unable to accept compliments without qualifying them with some put down, they see themselves as overweight when they clearly aren't, they are quick to demean their talents and skills, if their cooking is admired they say it's nothing special. I think it's considered in poor taste to admit to your good points for some reason, perhaps for fear of being considered conceited.

Ask someone what they excel at and most will struggle.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:48 AM

I see nothing wrong in stating, when appropriate, what your qualities are - bragging about them would be another matter.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

I think it can be very damaging to have low self esteem.

For years I had it drummed into me by my stepmother that I was 'plain' and 'useless'. It made it very difficult for me to accept that anyone could love me and that I had any worth and this has affected my whole life.

Things only changed when I met my husband.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 08:56 AM

Self respect and self esteem are extremely important I have been guilty of lacking the latter on occasions but now I recognise that I am doing something about it.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:23 AM

I used to have a low esteem in my childhood because we were poor and my Dad didn't like me. It took me years to gain it, but I did. It made me
independent and in the end I pepped myself up to be the confident
person I am now. I still find it hard to take compliments but I think that is
a womanly thing.
Well done to Megs hubby for bringing you out of that mind set. It is awful when its drilled into you.
You have to have some self esteem otherwise you cant get anywhere. I think helping others improves that esteem but is negative when you attack others for little reason.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:44 AM

A friend of mine had very low self-esteem after years of abuse and criticism from her husband. Her ego was non existent. After going through a very messy divorce (she had no-where to live and came and stayed with me for 9 months) she is now well on the way to mending and can once again laugh and enjoy herself again.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 09:49 AM

My mother repeatedly told me I was STUPID,until I went to school when the teachers found me to be very bright, just quiet.

I also found out my name wasnt SHADDUP.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Do you think it's important if you don't think much of yourself ?
Bit concerned that someone should bring this up. When a person thinks like this it is very hard for them to alter it and can spiral out of control - speaking from experience here kinda. Perhaps it is more important what regard others have for you. From my own point of view, even though we have not agreed on a few points, I can see that you are a sterling chap.

Or do you mean you think of others instead of yourself? Which is obviously a wonderful quality to have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top