Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Re: Self Esteem.

I brought this up MKJ because I know that people on here like to have a debate about serious matters. It is not at all lewd or offensive so what's your problem ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:22 AM

I - like others here, had a Mother who liked her put downs to me .... although it hurt, I soldiered on and my husband has been the light I was looking for to make things right....
Over-confidence is ugly - confidence - inspirational ....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I brought this up MKJ because I know that people on here like to have a debate about serious matters. It is not at all lewd or offensive so what's your problem ?
No problem Alan. Glad it wasn't anything to do with you that is all. Relieved .

I'm afraid I nearly always look at posts from a purely psychological viewpoint and analyse all sorts of things which are probably nothing to do with what the poster meant in the first place. I get it wrong a lot and always have done.

So no problem - relief .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by robert junior ->
my mother repeatedly told me i was stupid,until i went to school when the teachers found me to be very bright, just quiet.

I also found out my name wasnt shaddup.
snap !!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Yes you did get it wrong MKJ. I'm very much at ease with myself, not smug as I'm aware of certain weaknesses in my character, but I seem to get on with most people.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 11:18 AM

I spent years being told, "you're killing your mother"as she was depressive and got upset at everything, got married to escape! First husband was controlling, "You and those kids are sponging of me, get a job!" Got interview, "You're too thick to get a job" went to interview shaking! Got one job where I had to speak Afrikaans, wasn't able to so lost it . I spent a week travelling to "work" before he found out. My friends paid for my divorce! They hated him.
Second husband: compulsive liar.
Now I'm self confident I hope and don't suffer fools gladly and " if people don't like me they can leave me alone" as the song goes! Sorry folks - love you all really......
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 11:52 AM

I'm really pleased to see this thread Alan and thank you for starting it.

I am also a sufferer and in the last couple of years, have actually started to 'grow' .... an about time too !
I've never known how to do that before and I'm floundering around a bit but things have definitely improved.

Twiz ~ that attitude of your father's ? ~ bullying ~ is certainly a 'killer'.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

07-06-2013, 12:32 PM

I've never suffered from low self-esteem.
I've never suffered from a surfeit of it either.

I'm just me ... happy to be me and I'm nothing special but I am cynical as if anyone flatters me I always think they're after something .... as I know my own shortcomings too.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 12:42 PM

Well I may as well chip in as I'm afraid I'm flawed as well . Well I don't want to miss out .

Perhaps you haven't heard of this one but I suffer from 'sociophobia'. This means I am extremely hypersensitive to everything related to us humans - body language, comments etc - to the point that I can be over stimulated and suffer breakdowns. No doubt you can see it from my postings where I rip every single sentence apart and also think intensely about who wrote it in the first place. With body language and close contact I pick up even more information from someone - far too much in fact. I am like the Sherlock Holmes of people's feelings and thoughts. This means I have to avoid too many people at times else I can get swamped with stuff.

Funny enough low self esteem has never been my problem as I'm delighted to be who I am. I am in effect my own best friend .

We sure are a funny lot us human beings.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

07-06-2013, 12:46 PM

You're right - we are complex .. life itself is complicated though, a lot to get through and people can make the task even harder .....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top