Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Re: Self Esteem.

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well I may as well chip in as I'm afraid I'm flawed as well . Well I don't want to miss out .

Perhaps you haven't heard of this one but I suffer from 'sociophobia'. This means I am extremely hypersensitive to everything related to us humans - body language, comments etc - to the point that I can be over stimulated and suffer breakdowns. No doubt you can see it from my postings where I rip every single sentence apart and also think intensely about who wrote it in the first place. With body language and close contact I pick up even more information from someone - far too much in fact. I am like the Sherlock Holmes of people's feelings and thoughts. This means I have to avoid too many people at times else I can get swamped with stuff.

Funny enough low self esteem has never been my problem as I'm delighted to be who I am. I am in effect my own best friend .

We sure are a funny lot us human beings.
I can understand that as I'm am an incurable people-watcher, human behaviour fascinates me (quirky behaviour that is, not the everyday stuff). I used to go to a pentecostal church in my early 20s and the deacon was a female, a very nice lady. We were chatting one day and she said that I reminded her of Mary Magdelane - I reminded her that being in church wouldn't necessarily be of benefit if she didn't explain herself she laughed and said it's that I am very quiet and observe everything that is going on and must have a good insight into people. I'd started to take that as a compliment until, as she walked away, she said 'and it's very unnerving'
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I'm really pleased to see this thread Alan and thank you for starting it.

I am also a sufferer and in the last couple of years, have actually started to 'grow' .... an about time too !
I've never known how to do that before and I'm floundering around a bit but things have definitely improved.

Twiz ~ that attitude of your father's ? ~ bullying ~ is certainly a 'killer'.
Not my Dad, he was a lovely man, he just used to get so upset when my Mum used to cry, if for instance I wanted to go out or anything teenagers like to do. Wasn't his fault, he wanted to please everyone.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I can understand that as I'm am an incurable people-watcher, human behaviour fascinates me (quirky behaviour that is, not the everyday stuff). I used to go to a pentecostal church in my early 20s and the deacon was a female, a very nice lady. We were chatting one day and she said that I reminded her of Mary Magdelane - I reminded her that being in church wouldn't necessarily be of benefit if she didn't explain herself she laughed and said it's that I am very quiet and observe everything that is going on and must have a good insight into people. I'd started to take that as a compliment until, as she walked away, she said 'and it's very unnerving'
Sociophobia is akin to being extremely shy for some people. With me it is more like having raw nerve endings all over that are seeking impulses all the time from other people. Weird really as the stuff that I get back is the stuff that can make me ill.

Anyways I don't want to hyjack this thread as 'sociophobia' deserves a thread of it's own.

And yes I too am drawn to the down trodden, quirky or 'hurt' people as the strong are doing just fine.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Sociophobia is akin to being extremely shy for some people. With me it is more like having raw nerve endings all over that are seeking impulses all the time from other people.
Heightened awareness MKJ ~ I know it well
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Sociophobia is akin to being extremely shy for some people. With me it is more like having raw nerve endings all over that are seeking impulses all the time from other people. Weird really as the stuff that I get back is the stuff that can make me ill.
I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like to live with.

Anyways I don't want to hyjack this thread as 'sociophobia' deserves a thread of it's own.

And yes I too am drawn to the down trodden, quirky or 'hurt' people as the strong are doing just fine.
Maybe start a thread on that? It all goes to helping us to understand others.
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I think a lot of people have low self esteem, both men and women but probably women more so. They are unable to accept compliments without qualifying them with some put down, they see themselves as overweight when they clearly aren't, they are quick to demean their talents and skills, if their cooking is admired they say it's nothing special. I think it's considered in poor taste to admit to your good points for some reason, perhaps for fear of being considered conceited.

Ask someone what they excel at and most will struggle.
I think it is poor taste to NOT accept a sincere compliment graciously.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like to live with.

Maybe start a thread on that? It all goes to helping us to understand others.
Last post here for me as this wasn't what Alan wanted replies for.

Well I might consider it but it isn't really a happy story. It never has been and isn't now. It is razor edge thinking and existing where to fall off is more or less oblivion for years at a time. Not sure you do really want to know. Might be a bit much for me too. All you will get probably is insight into a troubled person's life. My plan is to keep on the straight and narrow from now on till whenever and not dwell too much on the past. After all this isn't a forum on psychology and could upset some people.

No more from me here now. Sorry for moving off topic too.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 03:21 PM

That's alright MKJ, most conversations digress somewhat. I'm sorry to hear of your problems, you don't come across as a bloke with psychological problems but there you go. Maybe you could start up a thread yourself and tell us more of this sociophobia, I've never heard oif it.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 03:43 PM

I'd be interested to discuss it with you MKJ (and others) but not on an open forum.

Better to talk, if you're able, than let it 'play' inside your head
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Count me in, if you don't mind.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top