Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Re: Evolution or not?

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I tend to agree with that - species die out for a reason and they make way for others to take that slot.

However! I do feel differently about the red squirrel - if the grey hadn't made it to our shores on boats we provided (in a manner of speaking), I don't believe the red squirrel would be endangered so, imo, we do have a responsibility to protect it and reduce the numbers of grey squirrel.
I agree with that Karen. Exceptions can be made THe red squirrel is an icon & has a special place in the British Psyche. Are there any reds on the Isle of Mann?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I agree with that Karen. Exceptions can be made THe red squirrel is an icon & has a special place in the British Psyche. Are there any reds on the Isle of Mann?
There are no squirrels or foxes on the Isle of Man Robert - the locals probably ate them out of existence at one time

I really like squirrels and where I used to live, we'd see them every single day in the park on the way to school but slowly, all the reds disappeared and were replaced by greys; I wish that could be reveresed. As you have said: in Britain, the red squirrel was iconic.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2013, 05:46 PM

I agree with the folks who say leave it alone except in some 'Special' cases where the experts could decide. who knows how many species we never got to see.
What really concerns me is who is going to save us? We seem to be evolving into something different with every generation, one wonders what the average human will look like and behave in say 1000 years, we already have men marrying men and women marrying women, children can be produced without having to have sex in the normal way, the greedy are getting greedier and there is no stability in the world, increasing the chances of the mother of all wars breaking out.
On a lighter note, perhaps we could preserve a few politicians and bankers, have 'em pickled and placed in a museum where the parents(or equivalent of parents)could take their kids(or equivalent of kids)and say to them "Hey kids, have a look at these fellas, they caused all that trouble 1000 years ago" then one child would ask "Daddy, what was a banker?" "A banker son was a man you gave your money to, he was supposed to mind it for you, but he gave it to someone else who ran away with it, then you gave him more money whether you wanted to or not." "Ha, ha, ha, that's very funny Daddy" "Even funnier son, the people back then thought they were intelligent!" And they all laughed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top