Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

10-06-2013, 01:25 AM

Moral Dilemmas - are you for him or against?

Is he harming us or helping us?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...er-not-afraid/
anewday
New Member!
OH, USA
anewday is female 

10-06-2013, 04:21 AM

Re: Moral Dilemmas - are you for him or against?

I'm responding to the dilemma of whistle blowers who spill national security secrets. The problem is that the world will receive the information along with the American public. When a former employee decides to talk there is no safety valve to prevent the release of information that could damage our country's method of security. The government uses many layers of secrecy and misdirection to do what it does. A federal contractor that worked for the NSA for four years, who had access to a particular level of data, does not mean that person had access to all security levels that involved the collection, analysis and distribrution of that information to all interconnected agencies and governmental levels. Whatever information that he can give would not be within the full context of its use because he is not privvy to the full context. That means he is delivering secret information to the world without understanding the full impact of the information. So, I don't think it's a good thing. Plus, it is encouraging other, currently employeed people to become attention seekers and fortune hunters for a book or movie based on their experiences at the expense of America's security.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 08:15 AM

Completely agree anewday, also I am of the opinion if they save even one life then they can snoop on me at anytime, we forget I think how many people could be at risk if they didn't collect this information.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Is there anyone in America who didn't think their government was monitoring phone traffic? All they were doing (as I understand it) is matching some phone calls and numbers to suspected terror groups.and listening in on millions of calls for key words, etc. If they can get Jaymal or Leroy or whoever before any harm's done then that is what they should do. It's the extremist islamists who should be feared right now, not the anti-terrorist surveillance by the US Government.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

10-06-2013, 09:19 AM

well obviously this guy and Julian Assange wouldn't agree with you so far - isn't their view as valid as yours?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Odd response no one said they couldn't have an opposing view.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Doesn't this news, plus the new member's response above demonstrate quite clearly just how paranoid the American Government and population are. The man who has now blown the whistle on American and probably British Government snooping, despite 'our' legal rights to privacy, is a hero in my book and should be awarded the Presidential Medal.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Hero ? no he took a job and didn't like it so appropriate response would be to leave and find another, if whistle blowing saves lives it's one thing but this could cost lives.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Hero ? no he took a job and didn't like it so appropriate response would be to leave and find another, if whistle blowing saves lives it's one thing but this could cost lives.
He's upholding the rights of the individual (as enshrined in the American constitution - which the American military and Government have seemingly largely overlooked) - yes he is a hero for reminding the American people of their rights under law.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

10-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Obviously your idea of a hero is a little different to mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top