Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 06:06 AM

Make-up worn at school

Chris Martin, 14, decided to wear black eyeliner, eye shadow and lipstick on the last day of eighth grade at Meadowlawn Middle School in St Petersburg, Florida.
Administrators told the teen he was violating the dress code and asked him to change his shirt and wipe off the makeup.
The two women who raised the teen say they understand why his shirt's image -- an anarchy symbol and sheath -- violated the code but the makeup was no different than what girls wear every day.
Chris claims the principal told him that his makeup was 'distracting' and that it was 'completely ridiculous and unnecessary for boys to wear make up' in front of other parents staff and students.
When the Tampa Bay Times contacted the school for a comment, district spokeswoman Melanie Marquez Parra responded on behalf the school district and said that the family's narrative is incomplete.

Scene: Administrators at this school allegedly told the teen he was violating the dress code and asked him to change his shirt and wipe off the makeup
The parents started a petition on moveon.org to improve tolerance training for teachers and administrators.
The petition reads, 'Make our schools safe and accepting places for all students. Require tolerance training for all administrators and faculty, encourage gay-straight alliance (GSA) clubs in all secondary schools, and sponsor an inclusive curriculum that includes positive images of the LGBTQ community.'
His mother Jamie Himes told the Tampa Bay Times: 'When I asked what was wrong with his makeup, the face the principal gave me made my blood boil.'
Her partner Katelynn Martin said: 'It was kind of shocking. I can't believe in this day and age that someone would think this was that big of an issue.'
The parents said this is not the first time their son has encountered trouble because if his sexual identity and had been bullied about it before.
They claim the school did not respond correctly to this either.
(How come I can't get links to work here?) anyway that's the story, I don't think make-up should be worn at school at any time by girls or boys ( unless in a play etc) they're s'posed to concentrate on their lessons not their looks, what think you?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Re: Make-up worn at school

If it was the last day of term then presumably other rules re. dress code had been relaxed? Were girls in his class also wearing make up? If so, then I see no problem with boys wearing it if they so wish. While in theory I agree that children at school should concentrate on lessons and not cosmetics, the reality of life is that teenagers will wear it - usually girls of course - whether it's allowed or not. Teachers need to apply some leeway and try remembering how they felt and looked at that age. I wouldn't advocate Katie Price slap, but I see nothing wrong with subtle make up. After all, 14 year olds are often doing far worse out of school and does it really stop them learning?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 08:24 AM

This is very unfair either everyone can wear make up or no one can, when mine were at school I never allowed them to do the dress down day because my niece was a goth from an early age and the teachers always had a problem with her when she wore her out of school clothing and make up. Very very unfair but to avoid bullying I took the stance none of mine would do the dress down day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 10:44 AM

Just dont agree with the make-up - hair dyed etc.....
See it every morning, just dont agree with it. Some of the girls are dressed correctly - no make-up, look smart, look good.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Can't say I like it either Pats but the young always think they are right and have to make their own mistakes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 12:40 PM

They do - but, the schools dont have to help them out ...
Puts pressure on other kids too - if they all dressed the same, no problem ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Completely agree with you, I always saw school as a place to learn and wear a uniform not a nightclub or social centre.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2013, 12:47 PM

I suppose you've seen examples yourself - but I really am shocked, I was all for clothes as a teenager, but had no problem with the uniform, we just didn't think on it...now, it 'does' look like they are going to a nightclub !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2013, 12:55 PM

If they stopped the girls from wearing make-up too I could understand it!
You should have seen my daughter's 6th form leaver's day!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-06-2013, 01:28 PM

I live almost next door to the secondary school I attended so have watched the years go by and the state some now arrive at school ! We never thought much about uniform it was what it was and we wore below knee grey skirt with white shirt, black blazer with badge on pocket and in winter thick black cape topped it all and kept us warm. Boys wore long grey trousers and white shirts with a black blazer and in the winter a black over coat. We all looked similar, no make up, hair if long enough in braids. No hair dye or tights we all wore long white socks.

Now I see them with knickers showing because their skirts are so short, in varying shades of grey, shirts of various designs with buttons undone showing cleavage, ripped tights, coats of many colours and designs, hoodies etc. A right rag tag bag of fashions.

We walked neatly and quickly (a teacher stood at end of road to take names of anyone not doing so) now I see them slouching along smoking and eating and drinking on the way both to and from school.

Not saying we were better people but we learned how to be a bit professional and that we had to tow the line sometimes. Not sure what these youngsters come away having learned from their experience of school ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top