Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Printers and cartridges

I intend to create a big printer / cartridge website very soon and I'm wondering what printers members of this forum use; also who uses new / compatible cartridges. It would be handly to know how much you paid / pay for them too.

Any info appreciated.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Re: Printers and cartridges

Kodak - (useless piece of c**p) £8 for b/w last one I bought.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Kodak - (useless piece of c**p) £8 for b/w last one I bought.
Thanks.

You bought the Kodak as you were influenced by the promise of cheap running costs - right?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Yep and the fact that previous two, Epsom & HP were also not too good! Will buy Lexmark next time, best one I ever had...although ink pricey, but compatible inks are improving, colourwise I think.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 12:59 PM

I used to use an Epson R300, the cartridge set was very expensive,but gave half decent results, ive also used compatibles and they were ok.

However i rarely print anything these days, usually just go to the local Klick and they produce decent prints cheaply.

Many of the local photo clubs use a photo lab that produce high end prints for competitions and again very cheaply, in fact the more you need the cheaper they are, so i cant see me ever going down the self print way again.

Mind you i used to print out at A4 size. One possible problem with compatibles is the quality of the colour which can fade with time.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:08 PM

My main printer is an Epson RX 500 and takes 6 cartridges.

Late OH (Graphic Designer) would never hear of buying compatibles, so we paid an extortionate price each time.
I sometimes thought it would be better to just buy a new printer whenever the cartridges needed replacing.

Now that the printer is quite old and with the encouragement of my friend wot knows about these things *cough* I decided to try compatibles.
OMG .... a FRACTION of the price and absolutely NO PROBLEMS

Colours are good ~ everything is fine
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:34 PM

I have had just about every type of printer ever made.
They are all C##P. and the inks are so expensive.
I now have two printers, Brothers. One is a cartridge, for black and white prints only, They are good value.
My other printer is for a3 printing.
Uses HEAPS of ink and expensive to run, But i use it for my CAD Plans.
Also for printing photo's.
If you go to the photo printing places to print a3 photo's, you have to format to JPEG.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Used to swear by HP, but expensive to run and eventually wore out. Then had an Epson which was OK but not the most reliable. Now I have a Kodak which I find is perfectly good for general printing at home - but not nearly as cheap as the ads. would have you believe.

ASDA is the cheapest source of cartridges locally.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Epsom I have always found reliable, we currently have an all-in one. DX series.
Cartridges can be bought individually at around £8 each but best value is a pack of four colours.

I wont use compatibles.
philwhiteland
Derbyshire, UK
philwhiteland is male  philwhiteland has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 04:39 PM

I've got an Epson DX4400 which I've been very pleased with (watch it break down now I've said that). Have bought compatible ink cartridges from the start and have had no problems so far. The business model for printers is clearly the same as that for razors and blades - sell the printer/razor cheaply so that you can make a fortune from selling over-priced cartridges/blades in the future

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top