Join for free
View Poll Results: Would you vote to stay or go?
STAY IN THE EU 34 27.87%
LEAVE THE EU 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Page 12 of 131 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 06:00 PM

Re: EU...IN or OUT?

Hi

You make some good points.

We have turned our backs on our traditional markets, especially the Commonwealth, so they have formed other alliances and more importantly, have developed their own manufacturing industries.

When we leave the EU, we are no longer a member of the biggest trading block in the world, we are a competitor.

When we leave, which could be this year, Call me Dave will still be in charge for the next 3 years, in other words , he will be in charge of negotiations.

I do not think he is up to the challenge.

The alternative is Corbyn, even more inept.

Nigel as PM? cannot see such a massive upheaval under our first past the post system.

He is a one man band anyway, not a great team behind him.

A lot of those voting to leave are doing so because of the number of EU Migrants here and the Benefits we pay them, no point in leaving if we do not do anything about them.

The reason the companies will leave is that many are foreign owned and use the UK as a gateway to the EU, the tax advantages here in the UK make it a very good place to be, no longer the case.

We will not be negotiating with the EU as a bloc for tax agreements, we will be negotiating with each Country individually.

We will have told them we do not want to stay, why on earth should they do anything which is not in their own interests?

The analogy is this, a divorce, with one party, us, slagging off the other, the EU, and publicly rubbishing them, pointing out all their faults.

Our Media is widely read in Europe, and we have been very nasty about the EU.

Like a divorce, it will come down to the Financial Settlement.

In a Divorce Court, who would you like to be your Solicitor, Cameron or Merkel?

I know who I would want on my side.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 06:48 PM

Hi

A view from the money men across the pond.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/26/britain-exit-eu-brexit/

These are the big investors, the ones who determine the UK Credit Rating, the amount of interest we pay on our debt.

They are only there to make money for their clients, the International Sovereign Funds, so they do know what they are talking about on the financial side of things.

Interesting about the EEA, the Norway system, which many think we should try to join after leaving.

We would still have to accept EU Workers here in unlimited numbers.

So much for controlling our Borders.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We will have told them we do not want to stay, why on earth should they do anything which is not in their own interests?
Do they already do anything that is not in their own interests?

In a Divorce Court, who would you like to be your Solicitor, Cameron or Merkel?
I know who I would want on my side.
Anyone who wants Cameron on their side deserves to lose.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 09:09 PM

Hi

A view from the money men across the pond.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/26/britain-exit-eu-brexit/
"2. Britain will give up more sovereignty than it gains by leaving the E.U."

How on earth can we give up more sovereignty than we already have done in being a member of the EU?

Of course, the Americans are totally impartial, aren't they?
They think of our well being far more than their own!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

07-02-2016, 09:42 PM

Hi

I think the point they are making is this, most of our inward investment in the UK is coming from the EU at the moment.

When we leave the EU, it won't be, we shall have to get it from outside, which means the Arabs and the Chinese.

We will then be beholden to them instead of the Brussels mob.

Forget the fact that these are Americans, whilst Obama wants us in for America's political ends, these people are not thinking about Politics.

Their God is money, making vast amounts of it and they could not give a damn about anything else.

They are totally ruthless about that, they will do whatever suits them, not us.

They control vast amounts of our National debt, as the value of the £ sinks, which it is doing already, they lose money as when we repay that, the £ is worth less, so they will just jack up the Interest rate we have to pay to make sure they do not lose money.

We paid £45 Billion in interest last year, in spite of the all the cuts, we are still borrowing, they will just charge us more when the loans come up for renewal.

So,to balance things out, they will just up the interest by a few £Billion.

How much I have no idea, I am not a Banker, just a scientist really.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-02-2016, 12:50 AM

A bit of a grim outlook, isn't it?

We either become a star on the flag of the EU empire, or a star on the flag of the US empire!
In either event it looks like we might become a caliphate of the Muslim empire!

It's a shame that we have effectively sold our country's assets to everyone else: EU, America, China, Japan and who knows who else.

I don't know. I still have this forlorn hope that we could go it alone, but not with our present crop of politicians.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Hi

The PM is coming clean about our Borders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35519210

So much for the scaremongering I have been accused of.

It took years of negotiation to get our Border Controls in France, and in spite of what the Out Campaign says, it is all to do with the EU that we got this agreement.

When we leave, we are also out of the Dublin Agreement, so no chance of just sending them back to France.

Sweden and Finland have announced plans to deport 60,000 migrants, Germany is changing the law so that any migrant who gets a 1 year sentence or is convicted of any sexual harassment, threat to kill or assaulting a Police Officer is also deported straight away.

All perfectly legal under EU law.

It is our own stupidity, not the EU, which has got us into this mess.

We have 600,000 illegals here, in 2014 we only managed to deport 5,022 due to our own stupid system.

In other words, continue as we are and it will take 120 years to deal with them.

Your Enforcement Agencies have lists of people they would dearly love to see the back of.

Nothing as frustrating as apprehending illegals then seeing them immediately bailed and disappear again.

A complete waste of time and money.

Apologies for the rant, but it is intensely frustrating.

Our Politicians should concentrating on protecting us, not blaming the EU for their own failings.

I do not like the EU, there are many reasons to leave, but it will most certainly not solve the immigration issues.

The EU is falling apart anyway, give it a few years and it will be changed dramatically, I see no point in shooting ourselves in the foot just to solve a problem entirely of our own making.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-02-2016, 09:21 AM

Hi

The cost of leaving.

The Bank of England's foreign currency reserves have spiked up by 34% in the past 12 months to $98.2bn (£67.7bn, €88.2bn), in a move seen as an attempt by the central bank to protect the pound against market chaos if Britons vote to leave the European Union. The rise in the forex reserves is the largest increase in a year since 2001.

Describing the forex reserves as "Britain's war chest for emergencies", The Times quotes economists as saying that the sharp rise "appeared to be an attempt to insure the UK against disorderly collapse in the pound and potential market mayhem that might follow Brexit."

"... you wouldn't want a situation where the currency was collapsing. At that point having more reserves can help."
- David Owen, chief European economist at Jefferies
Goldman Sachs had warned last week that the pound could fall by 20% following a Brexit. David Owen, chief European economist at brokerage Jefferies said: "The government would accept some sterling weakness so long as it was controlled."

He continued: "But you wouldn't want a situation where the currency was collapsing. At that point having more reserves can help."

BoE governor Mark Carney had warned last month that the pound was vulnerable because of Britain's current account deficit due to the fact that it imports more goods than it exports. Financial institutions have started buying insurance against a collapse in the value of the sterling.

According to Angus Armstrong, director of macroeconomics at NIESR: "It would make no sense to wait for the outcome of the EU referendum and then decide on some contingencies." At its current level, the forex reserves have never been higher in the 17 years that the BoE has compiled data.

The last time the reserves were depleted was between 2008 and 2010 during the financial crisis when £8.4bn (€11bn, $12.2bn)was used up. In 1992, the UK spent billions in trying to keep Britain in the exchange rate mechanism. The pound however crashed out of the ERM and collapsed when the relatively low level of reserves put the UK at the mercy of speculators.

I have no idea at all if we will need that much, the Governor of the Bank of England knows far more than me.

Once we have used money to protect the £ from collapse, it is gone however, we could do with it ourselves.

Putting it into perspective, we are looking at paying 8 years net contributions to the EU in one hit to defend the £.

If the powers that be are right, we are going to be considerably worse off over the next few years.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 12:01 PM

I'm reluctant to agree with Cameron but he's telling the truth for once. Why would France continue to fund and police the UK border, if we leave the Eu? They'll just open the gates and wave them on across the channel.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-02-2016, 12:54 PM

Hi

The PM is coming clean about our Borders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35519210
Cameron is a prat.

Why on earth would illegal immigrants set up places like 'The Jungle' in Kent?

They'd be straight off to hide in amongst their countrymen in the many ghettoes we have in Britain.

Page 12 of 131 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top