Join for free
View Poll Results: Would you vote to stay or go?
STAY IN THE EU 34 27.87%
LEAVE THE EU 88 72.13%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Page 52 of 131 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Re: EU...IN or OUT?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Norway, to keep in the EEC Free Trade Area has had to accept two things.

Firstly, it has to comply with EU regulations.

Secondly, it has to accept free movement of EU Workers.

Both of which are completely the opposite of what the Out campaigners want.

Simple fact of life, unless and until we grasp the nettle and change our stupid tax and benefits system, naff all will change.

Norway has a massive surplus fund, we don't.
Quite right. That's another worrying thing: that assuming the country votes to leave, Dopey and his clan may twist things so that we end up in the same boat as Norway and Switzerland.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Quite right. That's another worrying thing: that assuming the country votes to leave, Dopey and his clan may twist things so that we end up in the same boat as Norway and Switzerland.
Hi

I don't think that they will twist things, we will be offered a take it or leave it deal.

The die is already cast, the EU are miles ahead of us in planning.

They have already factored in the UK leaving and will not lose a penny, simply up our Import Duties payable to them, doing this solely on Financial Services, which are our biggest export to the EU.

Think the EU are idiots? think again.

One of Cameron's big deals was the restriction on Benefits.

Both Germany and France do not pay a penny in child benefit to children residing in other parts of the EU.

One of Cameron's big deals was that we would still pay Child Benefit to children of EU Workers living in the UK but with their children still living abroad, but only at the same rate that they get in their own Country.

Promoted as a major saving.

I bet now that none of you know this.

The Polish Government, and Poland is where we send most of the Child Benefits to, has just upped it's Child Benefits so we will not save a single penny out of this so called victory.

They think that it is hilarious, I don't.

As they have rightly pointed out to me over the last couple of weeks, we are idiots, they would not pay a penny in Child Benefit to any child not living in Poland.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 08:18 PM

Of course, SF.
What we really lack is a strong government willing to fight fire with fire.

One example is the EU import duties you mention. Why can't we increase our import duties to a similar extent? Bearing in mind that we import more from them than they import from us, surely they have considered that possibility.

Then, of course, it imports from the EU become too expensive there is nothing to stop our imports from the rest of the world increasing.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course, SF.
What we really lack is a strong government willing to fight fire with fire.

One example is the EU import duties you mention. Why can't we increase our import duties to a similar extent? Bearing in mind that we import more from them than they import from us, surely they have considered that possibility.

Then, of course, it imports from the EU become too expensive there is nothing to stop our imports from the rest of the world increasing.
This......

I agree that one of our main issues is weak leadership.
Cammy is but a jellyfish..
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2016, 06:59 PM

It's a great pity that the EU referendum is being fought as a political jousting match. Whether we are Lefties or Righties is not the point. The most life changing factor in our future, as an independent, self-governing country is TTIT. It appears our politicians are not even going to get a vote on whether to join or not.

Alone we will have no choice but to accept financial rules laid down by those who really run the world - the multinational coroporations and their owners. The EU is a powerful and influential market and they will get to negotiate terms to their advantage. Governments of countries that have already signed up are being sued for raising wage and pension limits.

How will that go down with the Little Englanders, I wonder, when we are a satellite state of Global Finance.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
It's a great pity that the EU referendum is being fought as a political jousting match. Whether we are Lefties or Righties is not the point. The most life changing factor in our future, as an independent, self-governing country is TTIT. It appears our politicians are not even going to get a vote on whether to join or not.

Alone we will have no choice but to accept financial rules laid down by those who really run the world - the multinational coroporations and their owners. The EU is a powerful and influential market and they will get to negotiate terms to their advantage. Governments of countries that have already signed up are being sued for raising wage and pension limits.

How will that go down with the Little Englanders, I wonder, when we are a satellite state of Global Finance.
Hi

I am bemused, I thought it was obvious to all that we already are a satellite state of Global Finance.

In or out of the EU, we owe so much money, and need to keep borrowing so much more money every year that we are dictated too by the International Money Markets.

Our fate will not be our own to control until we

1. Stop borrowing more every year.

2. Pay off what we owe.

Our fate is in the hands of less than a 1000 people worldwide, most of whom we have never heard of.

Cameron, Corbyn, Boris and Nigel can huff and puff all they like our fate will be decided abroad, and not by the EU.

It will be decided by the big International Moneylenders.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2016, 07:49 PM

I am still an 'undecided' but slightly inclined towards staying in. I do think that, while the EU leaves a lot to be desired, we're better off in than out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I am still an 'undecided' but slightly inclined towards staying in. I do think that, while the EU leaves a lot to be desired, we're better off in than out.
Why?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2016, 10:25 PM

I wish the decision to stay or leave could be free of the ridiculous endless party bickering.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2016, 10:20 AM

I can't understand why the majority of the Conservative party want us to remain in the EU. They have always been against nationalisation and can't wait to unload companies that they have had to step in to bail out. GNER was taken on when they failed to meet their targets, and although the government made millions of pounds of profit while running the service quickly passed it on to Virgin. British Steel is unlikely to become nationalised, they would sooner see it closed. Large companies like British Gas and British Telecom are in private hands to encourage competitition and prevent monopolies. So why on earth would they want, what is technically the nationalisation of Europe by the EU. Each year the EU becomes bigger by swallowing up countries under the pretense of better trading facilities but in order to be a member of the club you must give up control of your country. If all the red tape can mysteriously disappear between countries when they are members of the EU, why can't it be the same without selling your soul.

If the EU continues to grow we will only be in the same market conditions that we were before the EU, except we will all be under total control and governed from Brussels. Why should we have to negotiate deals with other countries in order to sell and buy goods from them? Either they want to sell us their products and buy ours, or they don't.
These are some of the reasons (among others) why I will be voting to come out of the EU, and until someone can convince me otherwise I will not change my mind.
Not even the pamphlet that came through the door could offer reasonable reasons to stay in the EU, in fact, a common chap like me could shoot down every reason that the government could come up with, so I'm sure the out campaign can provide a much stronger argument for leaving......It's a 'no brainer' as Kevin Bacon would say.

Page 52 of 131 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top