Join for free
Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
While waiting for something else, I just clicked on "Word" and Office started loading the application - I had to enter my key, username and password and now it seems that I have Office access again .....

AFAIK, I've done nothing to initiate a recovery, so maybe the fault was elsewhere than on my PC .....
Curiouser and Curiouser!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 09:06 PM

I think I'll stick with Libre - MS Office 2016 has wasted a lot of my time .....
As I have said before, Libre Office can do everything I want to do. If I didn't already have MS Office 2007, I'd use that all the time.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 10:45 PM

Libre Office is a good alternative to MS Office for the most part. The only trouble is that professional organisations use MS Office to create their documents. If downloading a form with textboxes, tables or checkboxes in it, Libre Office might open it with errors. For instance, checkboxes, text fields or tables may be out of place.

Only MS Office will open the form/document as the person who created it intended.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Libre Office is a good alternative to MS Office for the most part. The only trouble is that professional organisations use MS Office to create their documents. If downloading a form with textboxes, tables or checkboxes in it, Libre Office might open it with errors. For instance, checkboxes, text fields or tables may be out of place.

Only MS Office will open the form/document as the person who created it intended.
I didn't know that as I have never used such forms with LibreOffice. I do know, though, that LibreOffice documents can be saved as Word documents.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->

That is not entirely true.

The only problem with Libre Office is that it uses a different form of Basic rather than VBA. So Word or Excel macros/or VBA forms don't work. That is the only reason I am stuck with M$ Office.

However if you only need to read and print a Word document M$ used to provide a program that could correctly read and print a Word document including text boxes etc. I seem to recall it was called something like Microsoft Word Viewer 2007(?) and was a free download from M$.

There are other ways to read/print complex M$ Word documents including using the free version of M$ Word supplied with mobile devices or using Google Docs (just upload the word doc file and tell Google to convert it to their own format - you need a free Google account for that)

I think this need for M$ Word for forms is dying out because most organisations use PDF forms now which any computer can read and edit appropriately.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 05:12 AM

Yes, points taken Bruce. Personally, I bought the 2016 Home & Student version of MS Office from Amazon for around £80. A cut down version with only Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote (no Outlook - Publisher - Access) but it takes care of everything I need that type of program for with no compatibility problems. I see it's gone up to £102 now. Glad I bought it when I did.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 11:59 AM

I wonder how many of the downloaded, cheapie, versions of Office Pro Plus 2016 are still working.

Word on the street is that these have mostly died off.

Possibly because MS has found them to be pirate versions, or possibly because the version in use was for only one year or only one sign on.

Someone nearby found that, on powering up his Office package, he was told that it had to be re-registered, after he'd been using it for several months, and his pass key was then not accepted.

Think a Microsoft update might have triggered this.

If this happens you have to buy a new package or get a new key.(watch out - lots of scammers selling duff keys!!!!)

Make sure your emails are well backed up.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2018, 12:07 PM

Mine's still working .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

01-09-2018, 01:59 PM

Mine's still working .....
So is mine (Amazon).

However, when looking at the current listings, on EBay, for example, i see that some are on offer for just a few pounds.

When you look at the seller's instructions they often say something like "Must be installed/used/ Registered within 24 hours of receipt"

I cannot see MS making such a demand.

To anyone one else who is thinking of buying one of these, I suggest that you read the Reviews first.

There are loads of people spelling out all the usual problems like "the key didn't arrive, or the key didn't work, or the seller is not returning messages."

I put this post up as a warning.

Hope it helps.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
So is mine (Amazon).

However, when looking at the current listings, on EBay, for example, i see that some are on offer for just a few pounds.

When you look at the seller's instructions they often say something like "Must be installed/used/ Registered within 24 hours of receipt"

I cannot see MS making such a demand.

To anyone one else who is thinking of buying one of these, I suggest that you read the Reviews first.

There are loads of people spelling out all the usual problems like "the key didn't arrive, or the key didn't work, or the seller is not returning messages."

I put this post up as a warning.

Hope it helps.
I have never used, and intend never to use, Fleabay.

Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top