Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 04:29 PM

Wrong Payee Account Number - Major Crime?

Having got my Grandson's bank account code and number, i sent him some birthday money by transfer from my own Bank account.

When he didn't receive it, I tracked the payment to find that he (my Grandson) had given me the wrong number and that my money had gone to someone else (his old driving school teacher).

I explained this to my Bank and they said that they would put it right but it would take up to 5 weeks.

I went to the Driving school bloke and found that the amount had been reversed out, of his account, straight away.

After a week, or three, I went in to my bank and asked where the money was.

No chance, I asked them if they thought I was being punished for making a mistake and they agreed that this probably was the case!

One mistake after 20 years!

Still haven't got the money back -= but I sure have cancelled the account with the Halifax.

Far better deal with my new account, elsewhere.

What a Wunch! (my spelling!)

Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Re: Wrong Payee Account Number - Major Crime?

Who was it agreed you were being punished ?I would have written to the bank manager about said employee had it been one of them .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 04:37 PM

I did a similar thing a few weeks ago. (thanks for reminding me)

Accidentally I sent money to my daughters landlady from back in 2011, instead of to my daughter. Best not to ask how that happened.. it's a long story.

I phoned my bank and they said they would write to the payee, and ask if she was willing to return the money. It would take about 3 weeks.(?)
Still not heard anything, so I assume if she (landlady) decides not to return the money, no one can't do much about it.
My stupid mistake.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having got my Grandson's bank account code and number, i sent him some birthday money by transfer from my own Bank account.

When he didn't receive it, I tracked the payment to find that he (my Grandson) had given me the wrong number and that my money had gone to someone else (his old driving school teacher).

I explained this to my Bank and they said that they would put it right but it would take up to 5 weeks.

I went to the Driving school bloke and found that the amount had been reversed out, of his account, straight away.

No chance, I asked them if they thought I was being punished for making a mistake and they agreed that this probably was the case!

Still haven't got the money back -= but I sure have cancelled the account with the Halifax.

Tedc - you are the second person I have heard of who has had this problem with Halifax. They are still waiting for £160 to be returned to them!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Banks will always be b******s. they are not here for our benefit. they are here purely to make money.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2019, 10:37 PM

If you inform the recipient of the money that a mistake was made, explaining how the mistake was made and that you would like the money returned, if they refuse to return the money, what they have done is technically classed as theft.

If a genuine mistake has made, they are not legally allowed to keep the money. Just go to your local police station, make an official complaint and take it from there. When you have a 'crime number' and this number is then passed on in communications to banks and recipients of the money, you'll be surprised at how fast they act in giving you your money back.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
If you inform the recipient of the money that a mistake was made, explaining how the mistake was made and that you would like the money returned, if they refuse to return the money, what they have done is technically classed as theft.

If a genuine mistake has made, they are not legally allowed to keep the money. Just go to your local police station, make an official complaint and take it from there. When you have a 'crime number' and this number is then passed on in communications to banks and recipients of the money, you'll be surprised at how fast they act in giving you your money back.
Interesting.

Will have a look into that.

Thanks
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

24-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Ah! The money appeared, back in my account, today..
No message, email, or letter - just the transfer.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2019, 08:07 PM

Glad you got your money back, but no contact sounds like typical banks way of working to me. But don't worry, if you ever make a mistake that leaves them out of pocket, they will show you just how fast they can actually move when they want..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top