Join for free
Page 2 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Depends where you are of course, but my supplier has a 'low user' tariff which can help if not much water is used. It's worth a check at the meter with all taps etc. off that it's not still turning due to a leak. I used to do this regularly, but the neighbours began to mutter about this old codger crouching over a hole in the pavement, and the novelty soon wore off. Funniest thing was when the water co. came and replaced the meter because my usage was so low - made not one iota of difference, but it amused me.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 05:25 PM

I received confirmation that we will not now get a SMART meter so I will continue to do my own readings and keep an eye on our consumption as I've always done.

My provider OVO now bills us for the amounts of gas and electricity we have used monthly using MY meter readings and not their estimates so I'm happy with the outcome.

If you don't like the sound of having a SMART meter tell them you don't want one. stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I received confirmation that we will not now get a SMART meter so I will continue to do my own readings and keep an eye on our consumption as I've always done.

My provider OVO now bills us for the amounts of gas and electricity we have used monthly using MY meter readings and not their estimates so I'm happy with the outcome.

If you don't like the sound of having a SMART meter tell them you don't want one. stevmk2
Steve I am with OVO , was it they who contacted you about the meters or the people who own the meters and cables in my case Western Power.

I would like new 'dumb' meter if offered one but it won't have a smart meter.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Just another expensive sop to the green lobby and which, like windmills and solar panels, will do absolutely nothing to alter the climate but will cost us all an absolute and never ending fortune in subsidies.

Completely Brainless.....
This is totally arse about face the point being that currently there is no incentive to use power cheaply so generation has to have the capacity to cope with the two peak periods morning and afternoon when everybody is cooking for a period of a couple of hours. The rest of the day the generators are under used or even idle.

At night off peak power is offerred at a very cheaprate just to keep generating plant in service because stopping and starting costs more than running it all day. Smart meters eliminate the need for a separate off peak supply.

The idea of smart meters is that power can be priced at different prices throughout the day, obviously the most expensive from 5pm to 8pm and the cheapest during the night.

By looking at the smart meter you can decide whether to use your expensive oven when power is cheaper.

The smart meter is driven NOT by green groups but by the power generators so they can spread the load more evenly during the day and invest in less plant capacity.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This is totally arse about face the point being that currently there is no incentive to use power cheaply so generation has to have the capacity to cope with the two peak periods morning and afternoon when everybody is cooking for a period of a couple of hours. The rest of the day the generators are under used or even idle.

At night off peak power is offerred at a very cheaprate just to keep generating plant in service because stopping and starting costs more than running it all day. Smart meters eliminate the need for a separate off peak supply.

The idea of smart meters is that power can be priced at different prices throughout the day, obviously the most expensive from 5pm to 8pm and the cheapest during the night.

By looking at the smart meter you can decide whether to use your expensive oven when power is cheaper.

The smart meter is driven NOT by green groups but by the power generators so they can spread the load more evenly during the day and invest in less plant capacity.

Bruce I can do that already with economy 7 although that isn't necessarily cheaper because although the night units cost less they up the price of day units to more than that of people who do not have economy 7 .
I can't see any benefit for me from smart meters and I can see the cost of electricity going up to recoup the cost of installing them. .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bruce I can do that already with economy 7 although that isn't necessarily cheaper because although the night units cost less they up the price of day units to more than that of people who do not have economy 7 .
I can't see any benefit for me from smart meters and I can see the cost of electricity going up to recoup the cost of installing them. .
I'm afraid I must concur Meg, I think anyone with half a brain knows that if you leave something switched on it will increase the power bill. We try to use cheap overnight power when we can, so why we need a different meter to teach us the obvious I can't imagine and if anyone actually believes it's for our benefit and not the power companies' then they've a damned more faith in them than I have...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree with the last sentence as for the rest I have no idea what you are talking about. As a pensioner they are of little use to me, I was only telling why they are being pushed not approving of them.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 10:11 AM

There you go - do something about it.
http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-08-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree with the last sentence as for the rest I have no idea what you are talking about. As a pensioner they are of little use to me, I was only telling why they are being pushed not approving of them.
Apologies Bruce I think I misunderstood your post.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 01:07 PM

The only advantage to me is that I can check my meter readings from my desk without going outside to the box, otherwise only tells me how much energy I have used in day/month, which if I haven't wasted any energy is academic.

Page 2 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top