Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 01:01 PM

'Deadliest Poison Ever' Found in California

A new strain of the botulinum toxin - the most acutely toxic poison on Earth - has been found in California in a child suffering from botulism.

There is no antidote to the new toxin - the first to be found in more than 40 years, and it has sparked fears the substance could be misused as a bioweapon.

Inhaling 10 nanograms of the toxin would be enough to kill an adult - and for the first time in history, scientists have withheld publication of its DNA sequence until an antidote can be found.

The toxin, produced by a bacteria, is similar to other types used in minute quantities in botox injections - but in larger doses these cause paralysis, and can kill in hours.

Researchers fear that if the new type H's DNA sequence were published, it could be used to cause "widespread harm."

“This new toxin, H, cannot be neutralized by any of the currently available antibotulinum antisera, which means that we have no effective treatment for this form of botulism,” the researchers write.

“This is the first new botulinum toxin type to be recognised in more than 40 years,” the researchers write.

Tests with antitoxins from the U.S. Army failed to neutralise the new toxin in tests on mice - there was some success with antibodies grown in rabbits, but not enough to produce an effective human antidote.

The researchers have withheld publication of the gene sequences for the new toxin until an antidote becomes available.

The researchers say that the “possiblity of misuse” left them with a difficult dilemma - and say that it serves as a reminder that new strains “likely await discovery.”

“Until an antitoxin can be created, shown to be effective, and deployed, both the strain itself and the sequence of this toxin (with which recombinant protein can be easily made) pose serious risks to public health because of the unusually severe, widespread harm that could result from misuse of either,” David Relman of Stanford University writes.

So why publish anything about it at all? Wouldn't it have been better to keep the whole thing under wraps?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/deadliest-p...7.html#Ztk0s7t
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Re: 'Deadliest Poison Ever' Found in California

Absolutely agree with you, why ! Do they publish these things, what good does it do !
One more thing to worry about ! Well I wont - enough going on as it is ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Makes me wonder if they are just trying to keep us too scared to do anything ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Wonder where it originated - no not gonna think on it .....
....La la la ..... La .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Makes me wonder if they are just trying to keep us too scared to do anything ?
I have long thought that. They seem determined to keep us in constant fear of terrorist attacks in one form or another. I know that they think it keeps people pliable but it also causes illness (mental and physical) which they complain about having to pay to treat but it can reach saturation point when people just become blase about it all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have long thought that. They seem determined to keep us in constant fear of terrorist attacks in one form or another. I know that they think it keeps people pliable but it also causes illness (mental and physical) which they complain about having to pay to treat but it can reach saturation point when people just become blase about it all.
That's a good point I know we certainly are not looking for danger at every turn, they have told us about so many dangers we just get on with life and ignore it all.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

16-10-2013, 04:20 PM

I don't think it's a good tactic to use on the Brits to be honest (other than flying) as the Brits have endured so much bombing and whatnot. I remember once being evacuated from New Street Station with my children as there had been a bomb alert. We were all stood outside waiting to be let back in and the number of times I heard 'how long is this going to take mate, I'm supposed be in 'X' by this afternoon' - I think many Brits are just too hardened to it all now. Of course though, it's the youngsters it will frighten.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Wonder where it originated - no not gonna think on it .....
....La la la ..... La .....
Obama made it in the White House Basement!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Ooooo-er
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Absolutely agree with you, why ! Do they publish these things, what good does it do !
One more thing to worry about ! Well I wont - enough going on as it is ....

What is the matter with these people, do they get off on frightening people? Apart from that, what better way to notify terrorists of what to use. Stupid and irresponsible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top