Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 12:21 PM

X Rated.

It's very annoying when they put a letter into a word and then tell you cannot use the letter, but if you want to write the word down you must put the 'Silent' letter in, stupid idea if you ask me, I think the Americans got it right, they spell it as it sounds.
Years ago there was a famous bakery in Dublin called Gateaux, they made exceeding delicious cakes, I could never understand why there was no need to pronounce the 'X' why put it there then, alright I know it's French but why not just take it out altogether if your never going to use it when speaking English, anyway this was turning around in my head one day, the wife had asked me to pick up a cake for her on my way home from work, I walked into this very posh cake shop in Grafton Street and said "I'd like a jam and cream sponge cake by Gateaux please", the snooty man behind the counter looked down at me and replied "It's a cake by Gateau sir, you do not pronounce the X," I was disgusted by his uppity attitude, then he says "Shall I set it in a box for you sir?" I smiled at him and said "No thanks, you needn't bother your ballo"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top