Join for free
Page 13 of 36 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 11:18 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Not sure if that will breach your contract with your supplier so be careful. There is surely a clause in the contract that says their engineers must be able to come and make a reading.

Put an A4 laminated sign inside the box that says:

"ATTENTION

Under no circumstances must a Smart Meter be installed
at this address without the express permission of [insert your name]. Any attempt to do so will result in legal action being taken"

They can take a reading from the elctricity box OK because it has a clear 'window' in the front to see through.
The gas meter is behind a padlocked gate, so they can't get to that one unless I am here to let them in.
Thanks for the warning though.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 12:07 AM

No.....they are a weed growers worst nightmare.

JOKING
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Smart meters were being discussed on the radio yesterday. Apparently the 'first generation' all those installed to date will have to be replaced because the software they use will be obsolete in a couple of years time. They already have an inbuilt problem in that the data collected by them can only be sent to the power supplier who installed so if a customer changes supplier they don't work and it is too expensive to modify them them.

The second generation of meters are still being tested and won't be ready for installation till the middle of next year yet the power companies are still installing the ones which will soon be obsolete. Madness.

We are all going to have to pay for this mess up in our bills.
I won't be having one installed, my meter box is outside and if need be I will fit a padlock on the box so it can't be accessed .
I think what you say right there covers all of why I started this particular thread anyway Meg.
I repeat.
Just Say NO To Smart Meters!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
They can take a reading from the elctricity box OK because it has a clear 'window' in the front to see through.
The gas meter is behind a padlocked gate, so they can't get to that one unless I am here to let them in.
Thanks for the warning though.
I believe there is a legal requirement for your supplier's engineers to be able to access the meter for both readings, safety checks and maintenance. Your gas meter is not only a meter, it has the big red shut off handle too which needs to be accessible in case of emergency.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 04:55 PM

You were conned io.

No-one has to accept a new meter at their property. In fact you can refuse entry to your property to any engineer. You energy supplier may well throw their dummy out of the pram if you do and cut you off, but it remains your choice at all times.

I would have simply refused their entry to your property and changed supplier.

If your new meter is small and round then it's a smart meter. If so, you have my sympathy. You should ascertain whether it has 3G connectivity and if so put a Faraday cage around it to protect yourself and any family from the constant radiation it will emit (like having a mobile phone mast strapped to your house).

You can make a Faraday cage very simply using Faraday mesh which you can easily buy online. Just Google "Smart Meter Faraday Cage" for all sorts of info on this.

The "You have no choice" line is a pushy bully boy tactic being used by various suppliers but it is entirely illegal and untrue. British Gas have already been fined a considerable sum of money for fraudulently telling customers that new meters are mandatory.

Stand up for your rights.

If you do have a smart meter now, consider asking other suppliers if they would put back the old style meter if you swap to them.
LOL oh yes try that here , its not a smart meter its one that reads your usage , everyone in the country has got to have one . its not the U K
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:19 PM

Does anyone know what happens if you move to a house with a Smart meter but you don't want one? Can you ask for it to removed?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Does anyone know what happens if you move to a house with a Smart meter but you don't want one? Can you ask for it to removed?
Just call me Pesta, and I'll be round with me spanners...
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just call me Pesta, and I'll be round with me spanners...
Oooh goody gum drops
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
No Pesta. I strongly suspect that once a property is changed to a Smart Meter there will be no going back. No supplier is going to go backwards.

What we must therefore do is refuse to go forwards, refuse to have a Smart Meter. Refuse entry to your property and so on.

Ultimately if suppliers threaten to shut off your supply then they'll have to do that to a lot of people who refuse to comply.

If they force you to have a meter (and for me that would result in legal action) then simply build a Faraday cage around the meter to protect yourself and family from the constant mobile telecoms signals they emit.

Ultimately it's basically time to get solar panels installed and gel batteries in your garage/basement to get yourself off the grid. Heat pumps (ground pumps) are going to be huge soon. Worth getting in on that early.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

25-10-2017, 08:41 PM

No Pesta. I strongly suspect that once a property is changed to a Smart Meter there will be no going back. No supplier is going to go backwards.

What we must therefore do is refuse to go forwards, refuse to have a Smart Meter. Refuse entry to your property and so on.

Ultimately if suppliers threaten to shut off your supply then they'll have to do that to a lot of people who refuse to comply.

If they force you to have a meter (and for me that would result in legal action) then simply build a Faraday cage around the meter to protect yourself and family from the constant mobile telecoms signals they emit.

Ultimately it's basically time to get solar panels installed and gel batteries in your garage/basement to get yourself off the grid. Heat pumps (ground pumps) are going to be huge soon. Worth getting in on that early.
Hmmmm, that's what I thought.

Page 13 of 36 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top