Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 05:12 PM

What do you play?

I used to strum a guitar myself. Played a clarinet and saxophone too until I got rid of them by popular request. Does anyone play a musical instrument?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Re: What do you play?

Violin for 40 yrs, acoustic guitar for about 20yrs & clarinet for about 10yrs
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Do you play them in front of an audience?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Only the violin. I played in the school & county youth orchestra then as an adult in the seniors. I also played for years in a string quartet with some friends for private function.. weddings, anniversaries etc. I taught at evening classes too for a few years
The Guitar is self taught and I find it very hard to play with others and I cannot jam for the life of me lol I have to have music to read!
Clarinet is not something I pick up anymore. I had chickenpox which lead to pneumonia and my breathing control is not good.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 08:42 PM

I can play the piano but not that great I can read music but not good at putting the two together wouldn't pass any tests hehe but can pick a tune out quite quickly...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-02-2010, 09:45 PM

We were quite a musical lot really but I never did much in public. When I got a clarinet, my Dad got one too and we used to do duets on them, only for our own amusement though. The only time I played in front of an audience was on the saxophone at a Radio Rentals Christmas party. My fellow apprentice played the drums. The assembled crowd were all sozzled enough to think it sounded OK.

My Dad played the violin. Also the banjo mandolin because this has the same tuning as a violin. When I took up the guitar, he got one as well. He took two strings off it so that only the E,A,D and G strings were left. Since that made it like the violin and banjo mandolin, he could then play the melody line while I did the chords. We had some good evenings.

My sister can play the piano, organ and accordion. My brother played the harmonica. He was in a Skiffle group that played in front of audiences. Our grandson plays guitar and used to play the bass guitar in a band called 'Lapwing'. The band is no longer together but here are some of their numbers (need to wait a while for the player to load):

http://www.myspace.com/lapwingband
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 09:56 PM

As a youngster I was pretty good on the linoleum
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2010, 02:00 PM

I always wanted to play electric guitar-what young boy didn`t??

But I am a `leftie`

By the time I could afford one I was too old so sat and strummed a bit.

And then I lost the feeling in two fingers so sold my strat,my 335 and my violin bass.

I have regained my feelings and when Jenny gets back to work I might just get my Telecaster repaired and make a noise.

Violin??-no chance for a leftie
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Never could play any instrument, . . I don't seem to have the dexterity and I admire people who can play any instrument.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Never could play any instrument, . . I don't seem to have the dexterity

To make a reasonable `noise` is not so hard-for a guitar at least--think sex--fingers moving around with one hand and a solid action with the other(or OK finger picking)

And being able to count to four in time helps

Yes I am being naughty!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top