Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Free

I remember this tune,I was a new fan of Free and was nervous before playing a table tennis match in the youth club. My mate Dave said "Keep calm"

I won the match,Dave went on to have four children and I`m the God father to his second.

Music has so many memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuvzCkdWIM
Jenilou
South of England
Jenilou is female  Jenilou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Re: Free

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I remember this tune,I was a new fan of Free and was nervous before playing a table tennis match in the youth club. My mate Dave said "Keep calm"

I won the match,Dave went on to have four children and I`m the God father to his second.

Music has so many memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuvzCkdWIM
I was a huge Free fan - still am. Play them regularly and funny enough just watched a video a couple of days ago. I got quite a few music vids collected over the years and fished that one out to watch ... before I saw this thread.

It's odd but my three favourite bands from back then all start with an 'F' - Free, Family and Fleetwood Mac (the Peter Green incarnation).

Anyways, here's one of me favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLL_s3UJgs
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jenilou ->
I was a huge Free fan - still am. Play them regularly and funny enough just watched a video a couple of days ago. I got quite a few music vids collected over the years and fished that one out to watch ... before I saw this thread.

It's odd but my three favourite bands from back then all start with an 'F' - Free, Family and Fleetwood Mac (the Peter Green incarnation).

Anyways, here's one of me favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLL_s3UJgs
You have good taste Jennie, I saw Free quite a few times back in the old days, from the Colchester Corn Exchange to the IOW and all points in between, dear old Alexis Korner was pushing them along in those days.

The 1970 festival was a better deal as we saw Free, Family and of course Jethro Tull.

Family were a band that deserved more acclaim than they got, I think Chappo is still doing the rounds and I thought I put his Shadow on the Wall collaboration with Mike Oldfield on here. Have to check.

Fleetwood Mac sort of passed me by a little but I think I remember seeing Green with John Mayall, but that was an awful long time back.

The best album from Free was in my humble opinion Fire and Water.

Oh I Wept
Jenilou
South of England
Jenilou is female  Jenilou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Cheers George!

I was too young to attend gigs etc back in the day, but I was very much into the music on account of having three teenage brothers, one of whom also went to the Isle of Wight. I remember playing his Who/Hendrix backtrack albums round about that time, and him going nuts at me lol!

So I never got to see Free but I have since been able to see both Greenie and Chappo. I did once have tickets to go and see Paul Rodgers up in London - about 8 years or so ago, but one of my kids was ill and I was unable to go.

I've seen Greenie several times and Chappo last year up in the midlands somewhere west of Birmingham (can't remember the name of the place but it was a small venue) with a friend I'd made online on a music forum. It was great.

I agree with you about Fire and Water!

Family - Burlesque:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqswbOAxWw

Fleetwood Mac - World Keep Turning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivS5wjwGbn8
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks for those Jennie, it is nice to chat with another fan.

I checked on the What are you listening to now? thread and I had put up this perenial Family track from the Family Entertainment album.
Weavers Answer

This is Roger Chapman & Mike Oldfield, I think I still have this on a vinyl version of Oldfield's Crises album.
Shadow on the Wall

Have to plead guilty to a new wave of nostalgia.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 03:57 PM

I saw Free a few times and Family on my 21st. Saw Paul Rodgers earlier this year in Southend (Jason Bonham on drums)

Paul Rodgers in April this year
Jenilou
South of England

09-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
I saw Free a few times and Family on my 21st. Saw Paul Rodgers earlier this year in Southend (Jason Bonham on drums)
Nice one Ron!

Last gig I went to was Maggie Bell on some blues tour thing with Alan Price (who was excellent), Zoot Money and the great Bobby Tench. Dunno if anyone remembers Bobby but he was in the Jeff Beck Group, and later in a 70s blues/funk outfit called Hummingbird, (which was basically ex members of the Jeff Beck group minus Jeff Beck - Max Middleton, Clive Chaman etc) - an interesting link here being that these guys also teamed up with Paul Kossoff on his solo album Back Street Crawler.

But back to Hummingbird - I loved that band! I'm probably the only one here who remembers them , but just in case. Here they are with 'Island of Dreams'. Still sounding sweet after all these years!

warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Don't know them, have to have a look at em..
Saw Jeff Beck last October.
This is from concert

Jeff Beck
Jenilou
South of England

09-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
Don't know them, have to have a look at em..
Saw Jeff Beck last October.
This is from concert

Jeff Beck
I'll check out your link in a mo Ron, but in regards to Hummingbird - they are more towards the soul/funk/jazz spectrum as indeed was Jeff Beck when Cozy Powell was in the band along with the guys I've mentioned. A lot of bands from the blues rock end of things were heading that way - I think it was the influence of bands like Steely Dan in the US and so on, and a natural inquisitiveness - going away from the rockier stuff and more towards the jazz/funk/soul type groove.

I must admit I love all that kinda thing (I was very much into the Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Todd Rundgren, Average White Band and so on) so it was right up my street. Hummingbird were absolutely superb - released three belting albums, all of them gems - but never got much in the way of commercial success in the UK for some reason?

Anyway, I'll have a look at your Jeff Beck link now but in the meantime here's the Jeff Beck Group live from 1971 - Bobby Tench vocals, Jeff on guitar, Cozy on the kit. Clive Chaman on bass and Max Middleton on keyboards. Situation from the fabulous 'Rough and Ready'

warleyron
Warley, Essex UK

25-09-2011, 06:42 AM

Paul Rodgers this year
Mr Midnight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top