Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 08:14 AM

Re: Genealogy

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Was rummaging about on Ancestry.com yesterday - as one does on a wet Sunday - when a photo of my great aunt Patty popped up, Quite startling to see a relative of mine being researched by someone else. Have sent a PM to the owner of the photo - can hardly wait for his/her reply !!

The nice thing about the photo was/is - aunt Patty is with her husband - although I knew Patty I never met him - so it is nice to see his photo.
Owner of the photo finally replied - rather rude and doesn't want to share any information! What a disappointment.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 10:40 AM

There are some funny people out there on family history sites ... I can't figure out why they upload photos to be viewed publicly online if they don't want to encourage others to share info and help each other.

I was lucky ... I was contacted by a total stranger who told me my g-g-uncle and my g-g-grandfather had died in Canada after emigrating there. I hadn't access to Canadian records and they sent me copies of everything. I thought that was very generous of them.

Unlike my own grandma ... who'd got the scissors out on every photo with my grandfather on it and hacked him off.. The odd hand is left resting here and there on my mother's hip as she posed with her dad... or my gran is posing in a doorway in half a photo.
He had a very handsome hand did my granddad.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 08:54 PM

Oh Morty - that is so sad - your grandma must have really held a grudge!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 05:41 PM

I am thoroughly enjoying the fruits of another family member's research that has delightfully opened many windows into the past - English family who settled in the U.S. (South Carolina in the early 1600s after years of bringing household goods from England and returning with lumber), a German knight in the 1500s who was bestowed land, built a church, and settled around Lake Moosee in Switzerland...Irish immigrants emigrating the potato famine...family who moved from Scotland to New Zealand to work on building the first rail lines there....one of the first neurosurgeons in the U.S. (also an alcoholic)...

I am a mutt of muddy heritage...hardworking, mostly ordinary, but apparently with a dominiant and pervasive gene for packing up the family and moving far away to follow work .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 05:46 PM

ST, I hope you have better luck as you keep digging. What a surprising response!

Morticia, I have had the same experience in looking around the family history. There are some very funny stories and I have a great aunt who scratched her own face out of all of the family photos, but she was French...and vain (which may be redundant )...and quite the character.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 07:46 PM

This reminds me. I had contact some time ago with somebody who could have been a distant relative and we were going to share information on ancestors. Now I've forgotten where I made the contact with them! And their name. Eeeeek.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 03:47 PM

What a lovely thread.
I have just found it.
I will contribute when I have more time.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 03:33 PM

Having done most of my closest family I expanded out to my Gt grand mothers Sons and then Their Sons , I was on this line when i went to Derby Museum to look at the 9th Lancers Memorabilia,the family member would have been my mothers Cousin .
He died in WW1 aged just 26 , last night I decided to put his name in Google search and up came his Death Plaque which had been sold in an Auction some 3 year ago .
It was about 8pm when i sent an email to an address at the bottom of the Auction page asking how much it sold for and if they knew if it was still in this country, All information I could add to my growing pile of Family History Folders ,.
I got a reply back within the hour , asking for the page and she would look into it !! By 10pm she had found the entry and told me it had sold for £75, not known though if it had remained in this country .
I didnt realise there was people who would buy a non related Death plaque, but there obviously is .
I have a good picture of it though from the Web page so that will be added .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

13-09-2017, 10:01 PM

It doea seem strange - but there are a lot of them on Ebay. It is good that you have the picture to add to your file.

I have hit a brick wall again with mine - will have to go home again for some serious research.
GPapa
New Member!
South Somerset
GPapa is male 

01-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Hello again. I have not read all the previous posts to this group, but if people don't know about it then can I suggest a website (free) called "Lost Cousins" this provides 2 - 3 weekly genealogy news updates. Very interesting items appear here. Also advance notice of genealogy website discounts.

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top